Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adejesus

Reaction score
OK I just got done putting together my 1st batch ever its Apfelwein I was just wondering how long should it take to see any bubbles in the airlock? If I dont see any in the allotted time when should I consider add another pack of yeast?

My first time:

376316_10150940641720287_514685286_21704544_753448763_n.jpg

You should start to see some action in about 24 hours and some really good after 72. If not make sure the cider didn’t have any preservatives it in and try a starter batch to make sure your yeast was good.

Mine had activity within 3 hrs when at must temp of 64 deg I pitched and then set in a closet at 72 deg. I did put a heating pad on it for the first two hours after pitching my yeast. I used Wyeast 4148 sweet mead yeast.

It seems like Im loosing water in my airlock Im not sure if I put too much in to begin with, if I have it set up wrong or if there is something wrong with the airlock. Im using Montrachet Wine Yeast. Can I place a regular heating pad set a low on it for a little while its been going sine 4pm today its 8:45pm now? Current temp is 64.

Your cider is only 4 hours old. Patience, patience, patience! I would suggest walking away and checking it tomorrow night.

I would not use a heating pad. Fermenting cooler takes a little longer, but is generally considered better. I usually ferment in the low 60's. I would try and avoid anything over 70.

Airlock should be about 2/3 full. Most airlocks have a faint line to show proper fill level. If your cider cools significantly, it can suck the water back into the carboy.

I also just started my first batch of anything with an Apfelwein. I did it right before I went to bed so that I wouldn't be obsessed with checking it every few hours.

When I got home from work the next day it was bubbling fast, it looked like a pot boiling. Now a week later I get a bubble every few seconds. I have it on good authority that watching it does not make it ferment faster.

:)

I put the heating pad on till I just got my first bubbles. I'm guessing about 68 deg. I shut it off and never looked back. Two weeks in and I have bubbles slowed to about 1 every 7 seconds.

Time is the main thing. It will ferment at any above freezing and below boiling temperature.

The use of a heating pad is really determined by your environment and the yeast and your flavor goal. What was it... warmer for fruitier/esthers (ales, reds), and cooler for crisper(lagers, whites)? Montrachet's temperature range is 59-86 (a wide range depending on style, and even if it was below or over, there's still working yeast at those temperatures, just not as many and there's no recommendation on going outside of the range anyways. Bad stuff flavorwise.)

With your ambient temperature of 64, I would not use a heating pad. That's a great temperature to be at. If you're doing this in an outside, mostly unheated shed, then I would use a heating pad. (Actually, I have a furnace and a water heater in my outside room, so it's never below 50. It still counts.)

Back