American Brown Ale BBD Brown Biscuit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happened to have a Wyeast 1098 gathering dust in the fridge and decided to brew a batch of BBD. The LHBS suggested Marris Otter, which I have never used, for the pale malt. Mashed at about 154-155 for 60 minutes. After letting the wort cool all night in my fermentation chiller, pitched the yeast this morning. The OG was a little high for this style at 1.060. Can't wait to see what it tastes like.

Just tried the first pint of this beer and it was great. I used the AG recipe given above by Pete08. Used Wyeast 1098 and had a very quick primary. Went from 1.06 (a little high for style) to 1.02 in one week. Bottled after two weeks in primary. Nice sweet malty taste with the Special B and biscuit malt adding a hint of raisin and nut flavor. Going to let it age for a few more weeks to see if it has changed. I'm adding this one to my rotation.

Just checked on my batch - 2 hours into the primary and the airlock is a bubblin'!!!

I had a few minor tweaks - .8oz centennial for the full boil as my fuggle was only 4%. So I added that at 1oz@15minutes left and 1oz@5min left. I had the centennial about and I am a hop-head - so we'll see how the tweaks turn out. The sampling held promise!

How long have you all gone in your primary/secondary?

Cheers

AT

I need a good brown ale for the fall evenings. Pete08's AG conversion of this recipe looks like the one! Got the 1098 Whitbread yeast on the stirplate as I type!

Honestly, I don't think I have brewed a brown ale in 2 years!

I finally went ahead and did this one this morning. Everyhing went well for the most part. The wind was blowing so damn hard it kept blowing my propane burner out, so I had to sit out in the snow and baby sit it. I was out of hop bags so there is a whole lot of trub in there right now. Hit the OG right on at 1.058....must have been luck. I can't wait to try this . The wort tastes great.

Just took a sample and in two and half days it has gone from 1.058 to 1.022.
I couldn't help but try it and it is delicious. I can't wait. I usually quit drinking fron Jan-March but that won't happen now!

Been drinking a keg of this for a few weeks now and it's a delicious Brown Ale. Not a real dark color and a hint of coppery red. Very malty to the nose and a smooth drink, hops nicely set in the background as they should be. Any alleged pluminess from the big chunk of Special B is certainly not super dominant. I used 1056 to keep the flavor cleaner.

This will be my "go to" Brown Ale recipe from now on. :mug:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 1.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.51 %
1 lbs 1.9 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 9.40 %
9.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
9.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
9.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (45 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.92 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 165.1 F 154.0 F

Brewed the partial mash* version today. I'll let you know in 6 weeks. Buzzsaw is one of my favorite Deschutes brews.

*New brew kettle is on its way, so probably my last partial mash! :D

Just took mine out of the primary today and will let it sit in the secondary for a week. It finished off @1.014. It taste great. I can't wait to get this bottled. I'm ready to start another batch already becuase this won't last a month.

I think that this might be my beer from hell. I was going to brew it back last spring and every time I was ready something went wrong that prevented me from doing so. I finally did it a month ago and was kegging it tonight.
I'm in the North east and there is a major storm and it is colder than hell. I have the woodstove going and the heat is cranking out. As I was siphoning the wort to the keg I notice a ladybug flying around. I have four galllons in the keg and before I know it the ladybug flys straight into the carboy and into the wort. My god, it is the first week of winter!I yanked the siphon out and kegged it.....tasted the wort which was fantastic and bottled the last gallon! This better be as good as I expect! Match that calamity!

Tasted this tonight for the first time. Fantastic! I'll be brewing this again real soon. Can't wait to take it to a party. Nice job Chshre..Thanks

Hey i made something similar to this.A Honey biscuit brown. Used honeymalt and vienna instead of special b.Im hoping to get the butter notes from the Windsor yeast i used also.

My first batch of this was with the extract recipe, and sadly I crapped out at the dreaded 1.020. It's tasty, but too sweet. Bottled an all grain version today, and it finished up at 1.013. Sample was absolutely delicious.

When this is done perfectly, it's going to be a bit sweet. I can imagine that having one finish too high wouldn't be so good.

It was in primary for 3 weeks. Warmed it up, tried to rouse yeast, wouldn't budge. It's ok, I'm really happy with how the second batch tasted at bottling. Will see in 3 weeks.

I'm not familiar with this type of brown. The browns I've had in the past are Newcstle, Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown, and Real Ale's Brewhouse Brown. I defenitely liked the Newcastle over the other two. Is this in line with the sweetness of Newcastle?

That's no problem for me. I've been wanting to make a brown for my next batch and this will probably be what I try.
It's definitely worth a try. I just pitched yeasties on my third batch of this. It's very popular.

I'm kegging my next batch this Saturday. I just realized why this is a little less sweeter than last time. I onlu used 6 lbs of extract instead of seven...duh! Still taste good.....Think I'm going to try thr All Grain version next

I just brewed up a batch of this on Sunday that's going to the HBT comp and NHC this year. :D

I made some adjustments to it though. If it comes out good, I'll post the recipe.

I made a mistake on my last batch. I added 6lbs of extract instead of 7. It still tast good but is a little thin. Is there anything I can do? I know I could still add some malodextrin but I don't know how much for a 5 gal batch. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do too much. 6 or 8 ounces maybe?

You could also take 1 lb of extract and dissolve it in a small amount of water, bring it to a boil, cool and add it right there in secondary. You'll need to wait another couple three weeks to bottle, but it'll work.

Thanks.....adding extra extract occured to last night. I've never heard of it being done. I think I'll give it a try.

Just polished off my final bottle of my second batch of this while brewing batch number three today. Cheers for a great recipe.

biscuit_brown.jpg

This is a great recipe. I made a few changes to make an Southern English Brown. Wort tasted great...mixed with a little scotch. I was so good we split the batch into two carboys and plan on adding some oak soaked in Johnny Walker red. Can't wait to drink it!!!

I entered this as a southern english brown in the HBT comp and of the three beers I entered, this was the only one to advance this year.

This looked so tasty, i couldnt resist trying to make it, even though my first ever homebrew is only a week into fermentation. Had a little blowoff issue from being silly and using a 5 gal carboy, but i am counting down the days until this is done!

Latest posts

Back