Question about aerating Wort with air pump and stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
After I cool down wort and before I pitch yeast how long should I run an air pump with a line and aeriation stone on it in the wort.

thanks

Doing my boil now,

1st runnings were 1.059

6.25 gal reading was 1.040

OG after boil is supposed to be approx 1.051

I've never used pump, but the times I've seen mentioned are usually as long as an hour - don't forget that the atmosphere is not pure O2. It's 1 minute or so with a tank of pure O2 (that's what I use when I aerate) and a stone. Several recent things I've read suggest that shaking is as effective as using the aquarium pump set-up.

1 minute or 1 hr?

This is just a fish aquarium pump and stone, no O2.
Pouring back and forth 2 times from boil kettle to fermenter bucket is what I have done in the past. it seem to work but I wanted to better it.

1 minute or 1 hr?

This is just a fish aquarium pump and stone, no O2.
Pouring back and forth 2 times from boil kettle to fermenter bucket is what I have done in the past. it seem to work but I wanted to better it.

1 minute with a pump gets you dirty stone and line to clean but will do almost nothing for the wort. Your current method is far better.

1 minute is for the pure O2 method.

I have an aquarium stone, and aerate for 5-10 minutes while I'm cleaning up and putting things away. Works for me.

A good, hard transfer is what I do with consistent success. No need to over complicate this.

Latest posts

Back