Hard to Find Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted anyone who was looking for Target hops that www.mdhb.com has them in stock. (They stock Challenger too which doesn't seem as hard to find as Target)

I'm looking for a U.S. source for Northdown hops if anyone has one it would be appreciated.

Peace :rockin:

I believe a good substitute for northdown is challenger and northern brewer if you can get your hands on those. 50/50 split in the same amount that you would have used of northdown. I'll have to double check my recipes when I get home to make sure those are the right hops though.

Just so you know, I've ordered from Maryland Homebrew and they were great. They even sent hops to Croatia for me and everything arrived in great condition. They were helpful. The hops are good too.

I live about 1.5 hours (depending upon traffic) from Maryland Homebrew. I live a bit closer to Annapolis Homebrew but as is always the case no one store can have everything that you want/need. I've found both stores to be well equipped with fresh ingredients and enthusiastic employees/owners. Can't ask for much more :)

As for substituting Northern Brewer for Northdown, I agree entirely, the alpha is close if not dead on. I suffer from a bit of OC however and when I make an ESB I like to use all English ingredients. That said I am using Northern Brewer (a German Hop) in place because I can't find Northdown here in the U.S. But, I would love to find some...

I really don't take it that serious but try to match ingredients with styles (well I thought that until I found out Williamette is coming from England ;p) and my claims of my American Amber Ale being entirely American went down the drain...

Back