Noob question: Dry hopping.. how do I do it in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Silly question that I cant find the answer for in search options :p

How exactly do I dry hop in secondary? Do I just go buy a tea bag and fill it with raw dryhops and soak them in the carboy for a few weeks?

I was thinking in that case to use something like this
BathTeaBag.jpg

Thank you in advance.
Kevin

There are a few routes you can go.

If you are dryhopping with leaf hops, I'd just dump them into the secondary and let them sit for a week.

If you are using pellets, put them in a mesh bag and put them in secondary.

If you use whole hops, I'd recommend putting a paint strainer or similar mesh bag over the end of your racking cane to fitler out the small pieces when transferring to the bottling bucket or keg.

Perfect so If I get the pellets I can just use the bag in the pix above :) ( It is just a regular reusable teabag )

I just drop the hops in, no bag. After 10 days they are on the bottom. Rack as usual.

I guess all you dry hop in a bag guys don't use a carboy for secondary do you?

I just rubberband a hop sock on the end of my autosiphon. Some have said this causes problems with keeping siphon, but I have not had a problem. Those bags are pretty porous.

Sure I use a carboy. I just deal with the PITA of getting the bags out. ;) Some things simply aren't easy; true calm comes from recognizing that and just doing what needs to be done. :fro:

There is a product - Northern Brewer carries it, I know - that looks like a long metal-mesh tea strainer. It's designed to infuse stuff in a carboy.

Bob

Another one of those brewing things that everyone does a bit differently and it works the same. I dry hop in the carboy, with leaf hops and no bag.

I just tried someone's suggestion from here (I thought it was McKbrew's) to dissolve the pellets in hot water and pour the sludge/tea right into the carboy and rack. I have to say that it was effertless, and by looking at the trub at the bottom of the carboy on bottling day, the hops were pretty well mingled during the 2 weeks of dry hopping (though I guess you can't really call it dry hopping this way can you?) :D

I was just reading up on DH (that's NOT dry humping) and the source said to use a higher AA% over a lower one and only 1/2 oz to reduce the "green grassy" flavors/aromas.

Any insight to that recommendation? Beuller? Beuller? :D

No secondary for me. I ferment 10 days add hops to the primary and let it finish for 10 days. Rack to kegs.

(I thought it was McKbrew's) to dissolve the pellets in hot water and pour the sludge/tea right into the carboy and rack.

I can't claim that technique as I haven't used pellets in about 2 years.

Back