Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilscider

Reaction score
Hello, I have been searching on the net for some clear instructions on how to make cider and have found lots of conflicting advice. Can anyone help? I have pressed the apples and put the juice into demijohns, so when does the fermentation start, what happens, if I want to add campden tablets and yeast when do i do it, when do I apply the air locks, after this has been done I assume I leave it, for how long? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I think there is lots of info that doesn't conflict in this other "newbie" thread. If not I'd be happy to elaborate on my process if you'd like.

Add the campden 24 hours before you plan on pitching yeast. I would add them as soon as you get the juice home.

Currently I am on week 2 of my cider, I raised the gravity a bit but mine is still fermenting. I added some yeast nutrient for mine, but if you aren't added anything you probably won't need it.

I would say at least 4 weeks in primary. Then to clear it rack it to a secondary. Then you can age it in the secondary or bottle it and age it. Either still or prime it to carbonate.

One of the biggest challenges with cider is getting it to clear. Especially with fresh juice.

I'll give you a basic run down as I see how to make cider from fresh unpasteurized juice.

1.) Get Cider
2.) Drop in crushed campden tablets, 1 per gallon.
2.5) might be a good idea to add any sugar you wanted to boost gravity with before campden. If you add sugar, good idea to add yeast nutrient as well, and make a starter if you are impatient.
3.) wait a minimum of 24 hours
4.) Pitch yeast
5.) wait about 3 to 4 weeks or until fermentation slows or stops, check gravity 3 days in a row
6.) rack to secondary for aging and clearing. Add any flavoring/spices now
7.) wait however long you want to age, some like it young, some like it 6months to a year later.
8.) Bottle or Prime and Bottle.

9.) Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

For a starter, I just used 100% apple juice, and I stepped up a White Labs English Cider vial to about 200ml of yeast for my two gallon batches, but my gravities were around 1.064(draft) and 1.088(still)

Hi neilscider: I think jilaman pretty much summed it up, except that I'd give that juice a dose of pectic enzyme & a really good stir before you pitch your yeast/starter. The enzyme will help to break down the suspended solids in your fresh pressed juice & help it to clear later. The stirring is to reintroduce oxygen into the must/juice, yeast need oxygen at this stage, but after your fementation is underway, don't stir (unless your fermentation gets stuck) as that's the stage where oxgen is undesirable. I always use yeast nutrient & yeast energizer, they give the yeast some of the things it needs like nitrogen, trace minerals, and vitamins and this will pretty much guarrantee a good, healthy fermentation. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

Yes that is the one mistake I may have made in mine, was I forgot to add something to help clearing my cider.

Back