Extrem aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecouchbeast

Reaction score
Hey guys I just put a mead in primary and my wife just had a baby and I was wondering if there is away to save it till he's 21 so I guess my question is how should I bottle it so it has its chance to make it to that old or if it can even be done

I have read of meads that were over 10 years old and still good. If stored in cool conditions, and capped well, 21 probably isn't out of the question.

You have to start with the mead first, did you make it can age? Acid balanced, maybe a little tannin to help it age well? You might want to put a good cork in like 5 bottles of it and hope one pulls through. I make wine and most of our melomels I think will still be good in 10 years, we have a rack set aside for aging and saving a couple of bottles from each batch so we dont accidentally drink the last one. And by the way, congrats on the kido. WVMJ

Alcohol, tannins and acid all have a preservative effect. You might want to boost the ABV and add some grape tannin and acid blend. I'd use as much as is used on burgundies and other deep reds. Those can age forever and only get better. Oak wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Back