Hefeweizen Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I brewed Bee Cave hefeweizen back on November 17, 2012.

Did not turn out as good as I was hoping....and based on the great reviews it got...I am assuming it is something I did wrong.

It has a bland flavor to me.....and a bitter aftertaste,......maybe tannins or astringency..... (almost like dishwater hate to say) I am not 100% sure what tannins would taste like.

Here is recipe and details:

7 lbs Wheat Malt
4 Lbs Pilsner Malt
0.75 oz Hallertau 45 mins
0.25 oz Hallertau 15 mins

Mashed at 152F start.....ended at 150F (60 mins)

Preak ferm temp around 69-70F for a day.....remaining time was around 68F.

1 litre starter.....Wyeast 3068 Wheinestephan

I did not check mash pH since I did not have pH probe at the time (have one now)......but when I put my water profile (1.5 yrs old test results) into Brunwater with recipe I come up with a predicted pH of 5.6.

So this does not suggest a tannin leach issue....but again water report was 1.5 years old (just sent a new sample away for updated test)

I also read in Jamil's recipe book that the key to a good Hef is ferment at 62F....I was quite a bit higher than that obviously.

Any thoughts on where I erred guys? Possible mash pH issue and tannin leaching or maybe just the ferment temp.

P.S. I am still drinking this stuff.... But want to improve on next batch cause I love a good Hef

Can you describe the flavor a bit more? Dishwater makes me think you might be dealing with the hefe/sulfur issue. There are some detailed threads that describe a swampy/shrimp flavor. Hefe yeast can produce lots of sulfur that can become trapped if you bottle or keg early. If that sound like it might be your flavor you might do a quick search on those key words.

Latest posts

Back