AG Busch Lite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldtracker

Reaction score
I have done 30+ extract brewsnd would like to get into AG. I am going to try DeathBrewers Easy Stove Top method. Here's the catch. My wife would like me to make a Busch Lite Clone. I told her it was impossible but would try to get something close.
This is what I've come up with so far:
5# Pale 6 row
2.5# Flaked maize
.25# Munich light 10L
.25oz. Cascade 6.2 - 60 min.
.25oz. Willamette 3.4 - 15 min.
.25oz. Strisselspalt 2.6 - 5 min.
I don't have a way to do a lager so am going to use Wyeast 1056.
1 tsp. Amylase Enzyme in the secondary for 14 days.

Any suggestions?

Amylase is for starch conversion and used in the mash. Why would you put that in the secondary?

That recipe looks good, and WAY tastier than a Busch lite. What the hell?! Try this:

Make the beer you showed us. When it's done, pour 4 oz into a pint glass then top it off with 12 oz of seltzer water. That ought to get you close ;)

I'm certainly not one to bash BMC- I enjoy the occasional Bud Light. But the reality is that it's simply cheaper to buy a 30 pack than to try to clone it.

TheBiGZ said:
Amylase is for starch conversion and used in the mash. Why would you put that in the secondary?

It will help break down long chain dextrines, making them fermentable, and this drying out the beer.

Make sure you mash low, like in the mid to high 140’s.

I’ve been contemplating making a light beer as well. I actually think I may use a similar recipe as yours here. Although I wouldnt call it a Busch Light clone! But hey, whatever gets your wife into drinking homebrew!

That looks like it would be much better than BL.

But seriously. Try get get a close recipe then add something for some body or flavor and get her started liking craft beer

Midwest supplies This Bud's For You kit makes a good light lager. I made it all grain using White Labs San Fransisco lager yeast fermented at 62 F. I did lager it afterwords, but I would think leaving the bottles in the fridge for a few weeks after they are carbed would do enough for it. A life long Bud drinker told me he liked mine better than any store bought beer.

Dont give up on a lite beer. I brew a lite clone that I enjoy and all of my friends who are hard core BL drinkers enjoy. Not to mention it is dang cheap to brew.
6 gallon batch
6 pd 2 row
2 pd instant rice
1 pd instant corn grits
couple hand fulls of rice hulls ( Dang I hate stuck sparges LOL )
one ounce sazz hops for a 60 minute boil
couple pinches of Irish moss last bit of the boil
mash at 150 till all the starches are converted

Because of the adjuncts I do a 90 minute boil. While I do not really care how clear the beer is this one clears up real nice. I used to add a enzyme to the mash but I found a lower mash temp dries the beer out plenty good.

Oh heck I forgot to say the yeast I use. I would use a clean yeast like safeale 05 I think it is if you want a close clone. I use Coopers or notty though in mine and ferment around 64

It never fails to amaze me when people bad mouth the BMC crowd. I am pretty amazed that they can brew a consistent brew over and over. I know I cannot do that and every little thing that would go un noticed in a big malty hoppy beer stands out like a beacon in a lite beer.

I doubt the recipe would be that complex.
More likely something like...
5# pilsen
3# flaked rice
Bittering hop @ 60 min to about 20 IBU's
Large pitch of lager yeast and perfect temp control.
Also, water adjustments to soften the water. Maybe even RO water built up.
JMO
Bull

I think your recipe is a good starting point for the style you are after. For mash temp, I would aim for 152 or higher as jetmac suggested to get a little body. If you are shooting for a dryer style, then definitely mash in the 148-150 degree range.

Back in June I tried my luck with a Czech Lager.
8 lbs Pilsner malt
.25 lb Carapils
Mashed at 152 degrees
1 oz Saaz @ 60 mins
1 oz Saaz @ 20 mins
Wyeast Budvar 2000

I know you said you can't do a lager yet, but when you get a chance you need to try it. The beer I brewed came out extremely light and flavorful.

Maybe try something along the lines of a cream ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/)

I did one this summer (used fresh hops - first year harvest was ready and there weren't enough to make them worth freezing) and it turned out to be a really easy drinker. My BMC friends even enjoyed this one (unlike the stout and the pumpkin ale that is also ready now).

Maybe try something along the lines of a cream ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/)

I did one this summer (used fresh hops - first year harvest was ready and there weren't enough to make them worth freezing) and it turned out to be a really easy drinker. My BMC friends even enjoyed this one (unlike the stout and the pumpkin ale that is also ready now).

I was just going to post the same thing. It's a good recipe.

Also BYO magazine has some great resources/tips for brewing that style of beer. A lot of them are written by JAMIL (so evidently HE doesn't care to bash what folks want to brew.)

Classic American Pilsner: Style Profile

Lager: Pale Pilsner to Malty Munich

Make a Great Lager

I would take the opposite approach and mash in the mid to upper 150's to add body

Didn’t know body was a characteristic of Busch Light or similar American Macro lagers.

If OP is planning to use an ale yeast, I would think you’d want to thin out the beer as much as possible.

Sorry, the above two sentences are more like poorly phrased questions… I don’t know the answers for sure.

I'm certainly not one to bash BMC- I enjoy the occasional Bud Light. But the reality is that it's simply cheaper to buy a 30 pack than to try to clone it.
I can make 60 light american lagers for about 15 bucks. Plus, it is an interesting challenge

I have made BM's C of 3 Crops for cookouts and parties with friends with good luck. Most of the population was raised with, and enjoys, the typical BMC offerings. I brew what they like, along with what I like. Good food, good beer, and good times. Don't judge them, occasionally you can convert them!

Back