Do I need to replace this overpressure fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I just got a full 2 keg setup from More Beer. They setup a tank/regulator, then tubing to a set of splitters. Imagine Two t's. The gas comes in on one T, then Couples to another T. At the end they placed an overpressure fitting. At the bottom of the T's is on off valves that lead to nipples. The problem I am having is that when I pressurize the line with the two valves off, I have a really small leak coming out of the overpressure valve. At first it was coming out about 1 bubble every 30 seconds at 8psi. I pulled it off and pushed it up and down a few times with a chopstick. After reattachment it looks like it releases a bubble 1 ever 30 seconds at 20 PSI, 1 every 2 mins at 15 PSI, and is bubble free at 8 PSI.

Should I replace it with another overpressure fitting?

Should I just replace it with a cap (get rid of that layer of protection)?

Last, should I pull it off and rework it a few more times?

Maybe this is just right for this situation, I have just seen a bunch of posts that say a small leak will drain your CO2 quickly.

New note: I repressurized the system again to 16 PSI, and the overpressure valve held tight. I watched it for 300 seconds by my count and I didnt see any bubbles forming.

Not sure what you mean by overprssure valve. Most keg setups have check valves to prevent exchange of fluids between kegs, is that what you mean?

If the leak is external (bubbling off the outside of the piping when everything is connected), then deffinately replace it. However, if you are saying that a little CO2 is sneaking by the inside of the valve and will end up in the keg, don't worry about it.

I use no valves whatsoever in my gas lines, and I've never had any problems. More parts = more potential for a leak.

I too am having a difficult time understanding what you are asking.
Are the bubbles coming from soapy water you are using to check for leaks?

Here's what I suggest.

1. contact more beer since you bought the unit from them

or 2. Post a picture of how you are set up

I believe that he is talking about the presure relief valve in the lid, I would replace it if i were you. I wouldn't trust it to hold out much longer if it is intermitenly leaking. that thing should be good to around 130 psi (that is what the keg should have been pressure tested to) Not that you will ever have to pressurize your kegs that high.

cheers

He's talking about a gas manifold made of Tees that has an overpressure relief valve in it. Some regulators (higher end) have one right in the reg body. I personally don't think this is necessary unless you leave the system pressurized but NOT connected to any keg or if you use kegs that do not have pressure reliefs in the lids (I have a LOT of these).

Here is the item in question

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16388/

I am gonna go to More Beer today to replace it. I looked through their catalog late last night and saw the same part for sale individually and it isnt suppose to pop until 55 psi. I hate to make the trek out, because its about an hour away in no traffic, but I need to grab a few other things I need right away, and the home brew places close by arent open Monday and Tuesday

OK I see it. I'd get a plug in case the new one fails too. Like bobby said you don't really need that unless you have cornie's without pressure relief valves.

But hey, you paid them for it. It should at least hold the pressure it's advertised to hold. But if the thing is already failing it makes me wonder how good the unit could it be to begin with. But then again there's almost no such thing as quality control these days they just let the end user tell whether it's good or not. Then if you have to return it. It's no skin off their nose. I'd say make em ship you a new one at their expense and get a plug from the hardware store in the meantime.

Edit: be sure and use teflon tape when you change the old one out or put in a plug.

Got the new Overpressure valve today, with some other nick nacks. I pumped the regulator up to 35 PSI, which is the most I would think I would ever need, and it held tight. I think Im good to go now.

Back