What do you do with old beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshrode21

Reaction score
So I have some old beers that I brewed last fall I just never got to drinking. Basically an array of all the different beers I brewed last year that just got lost in the shuffle. What do you do with your old beers?

Do you drink em? Give em to friends? Do they taste old and have lost their flavor so you pour them out? I can say the IPA's arent even close to how good they used to be. Maybe I'll use em to marinate some meat for football sundays. Just curious how everyone else handles this crisis.

I drink them, and marvel at how amazing some of them have become....

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

Some beers are meant to be drunk young, some need to be aged. Some will peak and go down hill, but they won't necessarily go bad, they'll just be different.

I've discovered beers going back 4-5 years, and some were amazing, and some were so-so, but it was great to see how beers have changed.

I gave a few beers to my brother last Christmas, most notably a few bombers of Bob's porter (these bottles are almost a year old). We drank one last month, just to see how it had aged. It was a pretty "meh" beer compared to how good it was when it was young. It had been stored in the fridge for the whole time too.

I had 40 bottles of an infected stout. It was 2 years old and was only getting worse. They also where over carbed. We took my father out for fathers day, he took his Glock and Berreta with tons of ammo. My brother took his AK and M-15 (it look like an m-16 no sure what the hell it is). We lined them up in the texas heat, and watch them blow.

Much fun.

I had 40 bottles of an infect stout. It was 2 years old and was only getting worse. They also where over carbed. We took my father out for fathers day, he took his Glock and Berreta with tons of ammo. My brother took his AK and M-15 (it look like an m-16 no sure what the hell it is). We lined them up in the texas heat, and watch them blow.

Much fun.

Beer Skeet - Sounds like fun! :drunk:

All I have is the pellet rifle, not quite the same.

Invite me out for the next shoot, I'll bring the keg!

I have the same problem...I have a case of an IRS that turned out awful. Drinkable but really why bother...Actually maybe I will try one tomorrow night to see if I should chuck them.

I had a beer that had gone unnoticed for almost 3 weeks !! Not as good as it was fresh, but not bad :)

I 'found' some of my beer that was made in 1991 and 1992 when I knew nothing about making it. Surprisingly, it's not so bad, though not great. I use it for cooking - I would imagine beer-can chicken would be a good use.

B

My tolerance for my older brews is very limited. I open them on occasion and frequently just dump them out after one sip. I have too much better homebrew on hand that I would rather drink.

Life is too short for Sh!tty beer.

Back