Kegged a few, now I've got priming sugar coming out my ears!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markrickert

Reaction score
So I started kegging a little while ago. I'm an extract brewer and I buy kits from my LHBS. All the kits come with priming sugar, but I force carbonate in the keg now.

So my question is: what should I do with all the extra dextrose I have laying around? Should i add it to a brew to increase fermentable sugars and boost alcohol?

Thanks!

Use them to make yeast starters or you can add it to a beer as it won't hurt anything as long as you don't use to much at one time.

Use it for baking, cooking, etc.

Make candy sugar and syrup out of it.

Use it to make Apfelwein.

Use it to dry out your IPAs and APAs.

DO NOT use it for starters as it will make for lazy yeast in the fermenter.

SWMBO and I drink a LOT of coffee. When we ran out of sugar once, my 4 pound bag, (lifetime supply), came in handy. :D

Keep it around. You'll use it for something. For any future kits you buy, I would just consider tossing what comes with it in the beer. 4-5 ounces of it surely wouldn't affect most 5 gallon batches too much to be extremely noticeable.

Use it in place of regular sugar when making a salt/sugar brine for chicken or turkey. Because it's finely powdered, it dissolves more readily than normal granulated sugar. It's only about 70% as sweet as table sugar though, so you'll need to account for that in your recipes.

Back