Beer in the airlock....for a Blonde Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans5150

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewing a Blonde Ale from BYO magazine (Jan-Feb '08). I followed the extract plus grains directions exactly. I did not take an OG reading (was very tired and forgot). The magazine says it should be 1.049 and you should ferment with WLP001 at 67 degrees. I used that yeast and have kept the temp at a steady 66-68 degrees. It started active fermentation on Monday and is still going strong today, 2 days later. BUT...I now have beer in the airlock! The lid never popped off so it tells me that maybe the kreusen just got too high after fermenting for 2 days. The final ABV should be 5.0% but I'm wondering if it's going to be a lot higher than that. What happened? Just a strong batch of yeast? I'm off to Home Depot right now but will be back to clean the airlock and put it back in. I'm assuming I don't need to sanitize the heck out of the airlock since it doesn't get into the beer but I will take caution to clean it well. Unless you all think I should sanitize the new airlock for 1/2 hour or so in bleach/water combo.

Thanks in advance!!

evans5150

It's called a blow-off. It's common and not an issue, your beer will be fine. If it's not done blowing off, you might want to install a blow-off tube.

Good to know. I thought blow-offs only happened with higher alchohol beers. They can even happen with 5% ales? I better make one for next time!

Yep, they will happen with any strength beer, especially if you don't have enough headspace. I use a blowoff tube (1# diameter) and still get yeast, beer, etc. coming over in the bucket that the blowoff tube rests in-all about active yeast doing its job.

really has little to do with the initial gravity...a lot more to do certain grains being present, available headspace...and really the yeast strain.

wit yeast strains are known to blow off really bad, yet take a little longer to ferment fully.

Its one of the key reasons I stick to a 7 gallon bucket fermenter...usually there's enough headspace that I need no blowoff tube. unless I pitch onto an existing yeast cake...then it gets messy :)

I had a similar experience on my first beer. I filled up my fermenter with too much water. I thought I had a 5 gallon vessel but it was really 6.5. Beer shot up 4 feet in the air the first day. It was a Bock so we ended up calling it Soft Bock.

I can happen any time - the same happened in my current IPA that is in the primary right now. A real active ferment contributes to this. If an active ferment is a sign of good procedures (which it could be), then my hat is off to you.

I had my first one yesterday. SWMBO goes down to the basement runs back up the stairs and yells "There is a snake down there" we have had them before. I go and check it out with my trusty snake defense broom..

Damn conicle is hissing out the top - Airlock filled and plugged I took it off and wosh out comes the foam flowing up like a volcano and then down the side. I Try to make a improvised blowoff with the rackin cane tubeing and airlock that instantly plugs even after I cut the bottom of the airlock off. Ended up drilling out the stopper and pushing 1/2 inch soft copper tubeing thru it. Came out rather nice and think i will just keep it. I like that little chug sound when it vents.I know I'm weird...

Ohh and I will post about my wonderfull Sunday brew day....

Back