Firestone Challenger VI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I just got a Firestone Challenger VI keg from a garage sale for $10!! Does anyone out there know how many gallons this bad boy will hold? Anything I should know about these kegs as far as problems go?

Thanks

It's a five gallon keg, pretty standard. The Challenger VI is a common keg, I don't know anything in specific about that model that would be an issue. Most kegs are pretty much the same.

I would buy a seal kit for it and perhaps new poppets if they look poor. Should run less than 10 bucks or so from any number of online homebrew stores.

I would clean it very well with either PBW or Oxiclean and sanitize it. I would also wash the hell of the outside of the keg. Provided it isn't badly dented or the lid isn't damaged, it should be good.

Gedvondur

Hit it with some CO2 before you order poppets and the like. I had a 5gal Firestone that used some wierd poppets, so I ordered them and replaced the o-rings at the same time.

Filled it with 5gals of Root Beer, then I hit with 25psi and had to find out the hard way that there was a hairline crack underneath the rubber top. :mad:

As already said, 5 gallons and nothing special about the keg other than DO NOT LOSE OR BREAK THE PLASTIC GAS TUBE!!!

The o-rings are the same as what you would use in the newer cornies and the kegs should last a long time as long as they are not damaged. What I have noticed on a few of the older ones is that over time the rubber can break down and you will get hat black crap all over everything it touches. I have read that silicone will soak into it and stabilize it.

Well there must be more than one kind of challenger VI kegs because this one is definately bigger than 5 gallons. I have regular corny kegs but this one seems to be at least twice as big...I was thinking it was 10 gallons but I wasn't sure. The out post seems to be the same as any other corny keg, but the in post wont fit on my other kegs and the air in tube is much smaller than regular cornys. Just wondering if anyone else out there had one.

Back