Chilling wort outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Sunday was -18C with a stiff wind so I put the stainless steel pot outside with 20 liters of wort rather than using the chiller. Even with occasional stirring it took hours to cool. I was really surprise, I'm thinking of using a similar system to heat the house.:drunk:

On the up side contamination was minimized during the cooling.

jwwbrennan said:
Last Sunday was -18C with a stiff wind so I put the stainless steel pot outside with 20 liters of wort rather than using the chiller. Even with occasional stirring it took hours to cool. I was really surprise, I'm thinking of using a similar system to heat the house.:drunk:

On the up side contamination was minimized during the cooling.

I don't have a chiller, just doing my first batch. Was worried putting it on the deck would be a bad thing.

I tried to put my kettle in the snow on my terrace. Very bad idea, because melted snow created an ice around, which worked as an isolation. It took 4 hours to cool 5 gal batch. From what I read, the water is the best conductor, much better than air.

It will take a long time using convection (i.e. the breeze/wind) even at 20 degrees. I know from experience.

Conduction is the best way. If you have a large rubbermaid container you could fill that with water and stick it outside to cool to freezing temps. Then place you boil pot in the cold water. Even then to pot will transfer a lot of heat to the rubbermaid water. You would probably need to have some ice on hand to dump in the rubbermaid when that water starts to get warm.

In below freezing temperatures you can cool quickly outside, but not occasional stirring. I have an aluminum strainer that I use to cool wort. And spray the water hose on the sides of it if you can. Take the aluminum strainer, largest one you can find to still fit in the kettle, turn the handle up 45 degrees and stir up and down. If you can set the kettle in soft snow, even better. 10-20 minutes and your wort will be cooled to 80 degrees from a boil. Spray with water hose first for initial cooling of the metal. Constant up and down stirring with the strainer, the ones with fairly large round holes on the bottom. Careful not to spill the beer and move it around in the snow(if you can) as it melts around the kettle. And your wort will be plenty oxygenated when you pitch the yeast.

BigRedHopHead said:
It will take a long time using convection (i.e. the breeze/wind) even at 20 degrees. I know from experience.

Conduction is the best way. If you have a large rubbermaid container you could fill that with water and stick it outside to cool to freezing temps. Then place you boil pot in the cold water. Even then to pot will transfer a lot of heat to the rubbermaid water. You would probably need to have some ice on hand to dump in the rubbermaid when that water starts to get warm.

I put my hose in the rubbermaid on my deck and with the water constantly running I can cool 5 gallons in 20-30 mins.

I put my hose in the rubbermaid on my deck and with the water constantly running I can cool 5 gallons in 20-30 mins.

I 1/2 fill the rubbermaid with snow, then fill it with water, then pump it through my chiller, as the snow melts just shovel more into the tub. If there is no snow, might as well do it inside where its warm and the water for the chiller gets iced.

I've always had luck with just a traditional ice bath. I have a large rubbermaid tub that i have been filling with ice water always works fine. Im trying to get a wort chiller though that would be best.

Use the cold air outside to freeze a bunch of water to use the next day in an icewater bath. You need the water to pull the heat away since cold air is pretty horrible at cooling wort down fast.

I did my first two batches, putting the lid on before taking it out, but it cools quicker in an ice bath based on my experience. If you do put your pot outside, don't pack snow around it, the snow will melt just enough to not be up against the pot and will actually insulate it on the sides. Kind of the same principle as an igloo.

barneygumble said:
The specific heat of water is about 4 times the specific heat of air.

Huh?

I guess the water bath would have made more sense... Liquid water transfers heat 25 times faster than air.

Yep. Think about it from a kitchen standpoint. If you make a 5 gallon batch of chili, think about how long it would take to chill in the fridge- it would take hours and hours.

One time, I thought I'd be clever and stick a pot of boiling wort in a snowbank when it was 0 degrees outside. Well, the snow melted around the pot and insulated the pot! (Think igloo). I brought it in, and brought some of the snow with me, and made an icebath with the snow.

It is my standard method.

If I put wort out tonight, it would be down in the mid-forty degree F range by early in the morning.

I had wort turn into slushy one time.

I'm sure it's not for everybody, but I really like the method.

Cover it. Put weight on the cover.

82183d1351925650-scalded-dog-ipa-imag0075.jpg

...one potential problem I've given consideration is it may have some affect on your hops character. I haven't noticed it though.

barneygumble said:
I 1/2 fill the rubbermaid with snow, then fill it with water, then pump it through my chiller, as the snow melts just shovel more into the tub. If there is no snow, might as well do it inside where its warm and the water for the chiller gets iced.

I can't do mine inside as I don't use a chiller. I place my brew kettle inside the Rubbermaid full of water and let the hose run. It works like a chiller but from the outside.

I was always jealous of you Northerners and your free ice. So being in Florida doesn't suck so bad? I get my wort down to about 80-90 with a chiller, then dunk the primary bucket into an ice-cold cooler for fermentation, get her down to 60' and we are golden?

I was always jealous of you Northerners and your free ice.

OK, I was just sitting here thinking of winters in Florida. So here's the deal - you take all the snow you want, every scrap if you want but you will have to move it yourself. If fact if there isn't enough I will negotiate with the neighbors to pitch in as well.

Snow.jpg

Snow1.jpg

Dragging it into the house by the shovel load (outdoor hoses and taps are not ideal here in the winter so getting them out and hooking them up is more work than just using the chiller) while simultaneously heating the place is the part that somehow feels crazy.

At any rate just let me know when you want to drop by, we'll have it ready.:mug:

OK, I was just sitting here thinking of winters in Florida. So here's the deal - you take all the snow you want, every scrap if you want but you will have to move it yourself. If fact if there isn't enough I will negotiate with the neighbors to pitch in as well.

Snow.jpg

Snow1.jpg

Dragging it into the house by the shovel load (outdoor hoses and taps are not ideal here in the winter so getting them out and hooking them up is more work than just using the chiller) while simultaneously heating the place is the part that somehow feels crazy.

At any rate just let me know when you want to drop by, we'll have it ready.:mug:

Beautiful pics jww.

Thanks Dynachrome.

I see we live in similar climates where many of the desired brewing temperatures are available but the timing is unmanageable.

(Your signature reminded me of the story of the disappearance of Descartes. When a sommelier asked if he would like wine, he replied "I think not" and immediately vanished.)

Thanks Dynachrome.

I see we live in similar climates where many of the desired brewing temperatures are available but the timing is unmanageable.

(Your signature reminded me of the story of the disappearance of Descartes. When a sommelier asked if he would like wine, he replied "I think not" and immediately vanished.)

I resemble Diogenes in real life. At some time Alexander The Great will be my end.

:)

Back