One mash + extract grains for many beers at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
I'm pretty lazy.

In trying to think of a way to save time and effort, I have this concept, and I'm sure its been done before since just about everything has been done at this point. Stick with me here.

I don't drink beer fast enough to make it worth my while to make something like an IPA. I might drink a six pack's worth here and there, but not the 50+ bottles of a 5 gallon batch. I just get bored of the same beer. I look at the little glass soldiers and say, "men, you have served me well. But I tire of you." Then they sit until they've lost the luster.

Some beers, that's okay. Like a nice tripel or belgian strong. But lighter beers and hoppy beers don't age gracefully in my opinion.

The typical option is to make a smaller batch. But the effort to make a 1 gallon all grain batch is the same as making a 5 gallon batch. Time is the same, too.

Here's my concept, tell me if this has potential:
1.Create an all pale malt mash. 6 gallons of it. 1.060 or whatever.
2. With that wort, split it into say 3 two gallon batches. Dilute as necessary to obtain appropriate starting gravity if less than 1.060 is needed.
3. With each of those batches, add different steeping grains to create a different beer. So I might steep some crystal 60 into the stove top batch, boil and hop to create and APA. Another one I might add a bit more crystal, hop more heavily and make an IPA. Third batch might get some flaked grains, roasted grains and become a stout.

So I now have three beers from one parent mash and they can all be done on the stop top concurrently. Hop as appropriate during boil, yeast as appropriate or pick a neutral strain that works for all 3 batches.

It's the same amount of time, but more busy work. If I avoided a mashout in the parent mash, the enzymes would still be present in the wort and able to convert any loose starches, meaning I could even throw some flaked grains into the mix and have them convert in the 20 or 30 minutes for steeping.

Thoughts on this?

I brew mostly 2.5 gallon batches. When I brew 5 gallons, typically I split at flameout. I'll add all my finishing hops after I split, and typically use different yeasts on each batch. This method assumes you want two beers with the same grain profile, gravity and IBU. But if you top off one batch with some water to dilute, you could easily brew two very different beers. You could also look into making two different beers from the first and second runnings. If you capped the mash after the first runnings with some specialty grains, you could make, for example, an English IPA and a Mild.

Sounds interesting but I'd rather just brew each 2 gal batch separately. Are you planning on doing this all in one day or braking it up and saving the wort for another day?Could be an extra long brew day unless you have 3 boil kettles.

Find a friend who wants to brew with you and split the batches up. That way you only get a case of each beer. That is the way I started and then realized I drink it too fast. We have since gone to 10 gallon batches to get 5 gallons each :)

You can also add small amounts of extract to raise the base gravity...it sounds like a very plausible method to me especially if it's a process you like and the timing works for you.

The enzymes already did their job before the boil... which denatured the enzymes.

I want to keep the enzymes active. I want to make one big mash and split it, then adding additional grains for steeping and or mini mash. I don't want to boil it. I want to keep it unboiled since I would make vastly different beers from one main, unboiled, unhopped, wort.

If they are unaffected by freezing, then this becomes an even easier process.

Its akin to using dme or lme, with the difference of having the ability to convert adjunct grains on its own.

highgravitybacon said:
I want to keep the enzymes active. I want to make one big mash and split it, then adding additional grains for steeping and or mini mash. I don't want to boil it. I want to keep it unboiled since I would make vastly different beers from one main, unboiled, unhopped, wort.

If they are unaffected by freezing, then this becomes an even easier process.

Its akin to using dme or lme, with the difference of having the ability to convert adjunct grains on its own.

Freezing should not damage the enzymes.

This link suggests storage temps below 5 c to preserve things.

http://www.worthington-biochem.com/introbiochem/tempeffects.html

Get a couple bags. Don't mash out and when you split your base wort BIAB the rest of the two beers in there own kettles before boil say 40-45 mins in mashtun then mash your separate grains next. May take longer but it seems simpler.

That sounds like an awesome idea! Especially what jcam said about going to BIAB with your specialty grains. Im curious how it works out.

Google partigyle and capping and you will get more ideas. The method you describe will work. You can cap with specialty malts, base malts, malt extract and hop however you want in each.

What you're considering is extract brewing. The difference is you are making a very thin extract instead of buying one that has been boiled down to a thick syrup. If you wanted to use it for partial mash, (say adding vienna or munich) you could just include a small amount of base malt with your other grains @ 150-155 deg & not worry about whether the enzymes are still usable in your extract. That way you could boil your extract to sanitize it, and store it for later use.
Regards,

Yes but his homemade. Extract will be fresh and not overcooked. He'll also be able to control the mash temp which is entirely unknown in commercial extract. He could even make extracts from various types of grain

Yes but his homemade. Extract will be fresh and not overcooked. He'll also be able to control the mash temp which is entirely unknown in commercial extract. He could even make extracts from various types of grain

It would be awesome to document making your own malt extract. But if im already boiling I might as well add hops and make beer. Anyone got extra grain and extra time on their hands

Back