Finally the NO SCRUB carboy cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not heard of "no scrub" technique your referring to. I fill the carboy with water and add a couple of table spoons of Oxiclean Free, leave it for a day or two, dump and rinse. Have not used a brush in a couple of years.

No need to scrub, the Oxiclean and water does all the work! I put my carboys on the railing of my deck (weather permitting).

Oxiclean Carboy.jpg

Edit: Legal Disclaimer: I do not recommend moving a full carboy that close to a steel/enamel bathtub. Especially with no mat in it, this is not my photo.

How do you not scrub the top of the carboy???

I use Oxyclean with 2 and half gallons of water (6 gallon carboys). Put in a solid stopper and lay the carboy on its side. Oxy mixture just barely touches the stopper. Turn the carboy during the course of the day. Dump and rinse.

Use hot water to remove most of the crap and then shove a microfiber towel, washcloth size or so, down the hole. Put enough hot water in so the towel will swirl around in there while you swirl the water. Cleans off the gunk in only a few minutes. Sanatize and you're ready for the next batch. No soaking or scrubbing with a brush. The only yeast I've had to soak was Pacman....for some reason that yeast sticks like crazy. Otherwise the microfiber towl trick works everytime.

Found the idea on a you tube video.

Back