Unexpected Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis02

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Triple over the weekend Hopefully something close to a Triple karmeliet, the problem is my OG should've been 1.082 well I set my system up to fly sparge intead of batch sparging I let it sparge for about one hour. Ive always set my recipes up for 75% efficiency, well my OG came out 1.092 my efficiency came out 85% I should've added some water and cut it down to 1.082 but I didn't have time to boil water and cool it, so pitched it. now i"m wondering what my FG will turn out. being a belgian triple I want it to come dry, now i'm hoping it doesn't come out to sweet I Pitched a big starter using MrMalty, now just wandering if there's anything else I can do?
"The Recipe"

5.5 Gal. Batch
12 lb. Belgian Pils.
2 lb. White wheat
1 lb. Flaked oat
1 lb. Candy sugar in boil. and I was going to add 1 lb.
in fermenter, not sure now
Orange peel and coriander in boil
Yeast was wyeast 3787

Gah, this just happened too me with a golden strong. But i just boiled down too low. Just have to wait longer for ABV to mellow id say

I just regapped my BC and brewed Denny Conn's Waldo Lake Amber. Was supposed to come in around 1.060 and the OG was 1.072. Gotta like perfect crush!

I did a 90 min. boil, started at 7 gal. finished at 5.5 gal. I should've checked my pre-boil gravity, just something I forgot. I think i'm going to dump another 3/4 pound sugar in the fermentor try to get the yeast to finish up a little lower. Will see what happens!

Ok, 3 weeks later and my fg is only 1.030 from 1.092 Not good. Thats only 67% attenuation should I try to re-pitch more yeast and hope for the best?

My mash temp was 148, and started my ferm. temp at 65 then over the 2 weeks I raised slowly to 72 and now its sitting around 72 to 74.

Back