first batch tast awfull

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
well just opened my first brew after two weeks of conditioning.. tast way too hoppy and just plane out not good. Well to start off i sparged my patch way too fast, maybe in 6min. Then i didnt even boil it. Turns out i timed it from the moment i turned it on.!!! Not from when it was actually boiling. So taking all that in effect. I still made beer!!!! just thought id share my experiance! dont let the first couple batches discurage anyone.... oh by the way i was off by 10 points on my OG lol

It may not be a good beer until another month or two sit on it and brew another,watch it change.Try a bout 50 new brews in the mean time(not all at once)

I think you should brew another beer. Maybe extract. Sounds like you need to get some other things down first.

I think you should brew another beer. Maybe extract. Sounds like you need to get some other things down first.

What was it, what yeast did you use,and how long did you ferment before botteling? Sorry hopguy wrong tag.
To op: you made a hoppy beer and dont like hoppy beers??? Just for safteys(?) sake name a few of your favorite beers.We can help you more with more imformation. Hoppy is not my version of tastes awefull,it sounds great with the right beer. Whats up

I think you should give it time. Early in July I brewed a Sierra Nevada which I also thought was way over the top hoppy. After going away for the rest of the summer and leaving it in the fermentor for 6 weeks I couldn't believe how much it changed when I resampled recently. It is now definitely much more balanced.

I find it interesting that it tasted "too hoppy" even though it was never boiled. You'd think the time it spent at lower temps during the attempted "boil" wouldn't isomerize the alpha acids very much, leaving the beer less bitter/hoppy than it should have been.

I would brew another batch. Make it extract this time to be sure you have the entire process nailed before moving to all-grain. It sounds like some practice would help..

I think you should give it time. Early in July I brewed a Sierra Nevada which I also thought was way over the top hoppy. After going away for the rest of the summer and leaving it in the fermentor for 6 weeks I couldn't believe how much it changed when I resampled recently. It is now definitely much more balanced.

I remember when getting this for the first time along time ago and thinking how bitter it was, i think even today i still dont like it but i love the torpedeo and alot of the others. I guess a west coast pale or ipa is pretty dry and hopsided,if i had tried a balanced hoppy beer at the time i probably would have thought differnent but thanks to two hearted midwest and the east coast offerings they have come a long way.I still apreaciate the west coast style pales and ipa's though.

Without boiling you probably got alot of hop flavor and aroma then, would be my guess. You will have to give it time for that to fade,im shure it would turn out pretty good, just leave it and brew some more.

Lol I love ipa's or pa's drinking a stone ipa as we speak. The brew just tast awful. Maybe hoppy was the wrong word it taste very watery and with to much amost fruity yeasty flavor

Skye I asked for advice not for u to be a jerk, or ur sarcasm. So if ur going to be dumb go to Facebook

I actually pitched it higher than I should it was at 81*

Sorry thought this was a home brewing site. Not a pms site

Do any of you proof read your posts before you post? Or did you graduate high school? The spelling and sentence structure is so bad that I have a hard time figuring out what is being said/asked......

Do any of you proof read your posts before you post? Or did you graduate high school? The spelling and sentence structure is so bad that I have a hard time figuring out what is being said/asked......

No, apparently you just have pms :(

Yes I'm actually a buisness major with a minor in accounting. If I don't take time to spell check or double check my grammar is because I just don't feel like it and type to fast

I doubt that English is Gustavo's first language... If it is, that is sad, but if it isn't, then you guys are being dicks.

Lol if it is my first language or not it irrelevant. I'm simply asking for brewing advice

Well my apologize, I'll try to keep my grammar and sentence structure to proper requirements. Just in case it's not up to parr.

So what's wrong with that. It's exactly what a new home brewer be doing

Like I stated earlier, I'm simply asking for advice. That concept might be to much for some to grasp

well your going to have to be a lil more blunt. I honestly dont get this troll thing you got going.

well regardless thank you for advice for those who gave it!

Back