Give Props to your Favorite Micro Brewery..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a post like this already but I figured there are alot of Microbrewers out there that many may not have heard of.

Lazy Magnolia Brewery
Kiln Mississippi
lazymagnolia.com

This is my homestate brew and if you ever get a chance to drink any of their beers I reccommend it.

My favorites:
Southern Pecan
Reb Ale

Of course I am sure all of you are familiar with
Abita Beer
Abita Springs LA

I reccommend the Jockamo IPA

Ale Asylum in Madison, WI is a place that would make you hop heads happy. They even have a brew called Hopilisious and it does live up to it.

Mountain Sun brewery in Boulder, and their associated brewpubs - Southern Sun in Boulder and Vine Street in Denver.

They don't distribute, so if you haven't been here, you probably haven't had 'em. Their Java Porter is amazing, as is their Kind Ale, and their collaboration brew with Avery, Van Damien, a black saison, was amazing.

They consistently put out good beer.

New Albanian Brewing Co.
New Albany, Indiana
newalbanian.com

They've just begun distributing in and around New Albany, and across the river in Louisville. Hopefully soon to start canning and widening the distribution.

Favorites:
[Edit: Hoping they won't mind my posting the graphics here, since this is a "give props" post...]

Hoptimus (IIPA)
Hoptimus_300.jpg

Elector (Imperial Red)
ElectorBS_300.jpg

Beak's Best ("American Bitter")
BeaksPreview_300.jpg

Another one people probably haven't heard of, possibly even if they live in Denver/Boulder is Golden City Brewery. Their tagline is "Second Largest Brewery in Golden" - Coors being the first, obviously.

The brewery is in a guy's garage, seating/tables in the backyard, last call is 6:30 because its in a residential area.

They've gone through some up's and down's with quality over the years, but they're very much at the peak of their brewing right now in my opinion - their Evolution IPA is amazing, as is the Stand Up Double IPA, and their recent small batch Stranahan's (CO whiskey) barrel-aged barleywine. They bottle in addition to their backyard sales, so you can get them in several liquor stores in Denver.

Troegs in Harrisburg PA is awesome, their Dead Reckoning Porter, Mad Elf Ale, and Nugget Nectar are all great great brews.

Also like Iron Hill brewpubs around here, there are a few in PA, love the Pig Iron porter they have.

Man, I had a chance to try Nugget Nectar in Columbus earlier in the year, but there were two other IPAs on tap and I got those first and couldn't do three. Wish I'd picked the Troegs first.

Mountain Sun brewery in Boulder, and their associated brewpubs - Southern Sun in Boulder and Vine Street in Denver.

They don't distribute, so if you haven't been here, you probably haven't had 'em. Their Java Porter is amazing, as is their Kind Ale, and their collaboration brew with Avery, Van Damien, a black saison, was amazing.

They consistently put out good beer.

Agreed. Although if you want to sit down at Mountain Sun, get there early

Troegs in Harrisburg PA is awesome, their Dead Reckoning Porter, Mad Elf Ale, and Nugget Nectar are all great great brews.

Also like Iron Hill brewpubs around here, there are a few in PA, love the Pig Iron porter they have.

+1 on Troegs.

I was in Allentown, PA a couple of weeks ago, and missed the chance to try the Nugget Nectar at the hotel bar I was hanging out in. I had already tried two Victory bombers I hadn't had before, the Saison and the 12, before I noticed that they had the NN which I had hear about. So, unfortunately I was well beyond needing a third bomber at that point.

My favorite is Golden Valley. One of the reasons I like it is Mark brews to style and does an extremely good job of it. So many breweries over-hop everything. If I want a hoppy beer, I can order a Bald Peak IPA, a Chehalem Mtn. IPA, an all-Mt Hood fresh hop IPA or a nice clean APA. Four hoppy beers out of ten taps is reasonable. His Tannen Bomb barley wine and Black Panther RIS are good to have around when it's snowing, or just a bit frosty.

Fine grass-raised beef as well. The only grain the cows get is from the brewery.

Surly Brewing, Minneapolis, MN

www.surlybrewing.com

The tours are fantastic..beer's great too...Omar (the owner), basically stands on a pallet in the middle of his brewery, drinks beer, and tells you how he got there...OK it sounds boring, but it was the best tour I've been on so far.

Great Lakes BrewCo in Cleveland OH.

Burning River APA, Edmund Fitzgerald Robust Porter, Christmas Ale, Oktoberfest all great beers

My favorite, without a doubt, used to be Highland Brewing Company in Asheville, NC, where I went to school for a few years.

Lately, however, I've been a bit disappointed with some of their offerings. I don't know if their quality has gone downhill or if my tastes are changing that drastically, but many of the beers I used to like no longer have the same appeal to me, nor do they even seem to have the same flavors. They're just a little -- different.

Now I've found myself enjoying the porters and stouts of another North Carolina brewery in Duck Rabbit brewing. They make a delicious porter and milk stout.

Bottom line, though, is that I don't feel I've sampled enough of one brewery's offerings to proclaim any one as my favorite. In time, I suppose.

Odell's Brewery here in Fort Collins CO. http://www.odells.com/

Yet to have a bad beer from them, the tap room at the brewery is an awesome stop on the local brewery tour through town. The brewery that i drink when im not drinking home brew (or the occasional PBR).

Gotta give it up to the local brew pub. Offshore Ale. For those of you in their small distribution area, please do not judge by the store bought stuff. It's brewed under license elsewhere and not the same. Their standard offerings are mostly to style and quite good. They've always got 2 - 3 specialties available, at least 1 of which seems to be a new recipe (I haven't lived here long, but they always seem to be brewing something new), occasionally have cask conditioned offerings, and have a partnership with a small, local organic hop farm. My standard order when not sampling their specialties is Hop Goddess. It's a 6.9 IPA with monster hop flavor and aroma. Kind of a 1.5xIPA.

+ 1 on the Founders but I have to give it up for Southern Tier in upstate New York. I absolutely love their Black Water Imperial Stout series as well as Big Red, their Imperial Red. I've tried had more than half their distributed line and will one day make the 6.5 hour trip to the brewpub.

Oh, how could I forget Sixpoints Craft Ales out of Brooklyn? Some of the best around; although hard to find in my area. :(

Chuckanut Brewery in Bellingham, WA.
Will Kemper makes stoopid good beer.

Great Lakes BrewCo in Cleveland OH.

Burning River APA, Edmund Fitzgerald Robust Porter, Christmas Ale, Oktoberfest all great beers

x2. I also enjoyed Willoughby Brewing Company when I was living in the Cleveland area.

I have yet to find a favorite in Vegas, there really aren't many here. One day I'll start my own. :rockin:

I love Three Floyds, though they are over priced on their 22 oz bombers. Founders is kind of odd brewery IMO. Their session ales are just ho-hum, but their high gravity stuff is the bomb.

Not sure if these are "micros", but I love everything Sierra Nevada brews as well as Brooklyn Brewery.

I love Middle Ages from Syracuse, NY
Long Live Bert Grant's
Three Needs in Burlington, VT
Ithaca Brewing

The list goes on, but those are my faves!

The Gilded Otter (http://www.gildedotter.com/splash.htm) in New Paltz NY is an excellent gastropub, great place to go. Unfortunately they don't sell their beer anywhere but in the restaurant.

Keegan Ales (http://www.keeganales.com/) in Kingston NY is excellent as well. They won most of the awards at the last TapNY festival, and you can get their beers at local beer distributors.

I love Three Floyds, though they are over priced on their 22 oz bombers. Founders is kind of odd brewery IMO. Their session ales are just ho-hum, but their high gravity stuff is the bomb.

Go there. Reasonable in the pub, and decent food too. It's uhhhh, eclectic.

-OCD

It's close between Deschutes and New Belgium, but since Deschutes uses bottles that are easier for me to reuse, they win.

Big ups to Great Basin Brewery! It's built inside an old Victorian house on Victorian Avenue in Sparks, NV and the atmosphere is great.

The food is quite varied from typical brewpub food to some complex, savory dishes. They even have seasonal specials.

Noooow on to the best part: THE BEER of course! Not only are their brews refreshing, satisfying and delicious as they are unique but their answer to the recession is "Tight-Wad Tuesdays" where pints are $2.50 ALL DAY! It's amazing...

Favorites:
1) Their trademark beer, Ichthyosaur IPA. "It's not yucky, It's Icky!"
2) Jackpot Porter (especially when it's on a nitro tap)
3) Smoke Creek Rauchbock

They are the winning-est brewery in Nevada and I'm incredibly proud to have them in my area!

Latest posts

Back