Someone wants to use one of my braukaiser.com photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I just got an e-mail that made me feel pretty good about the images that I have on braukaiser.com. A publisher is interested in using this photo:

Preparing_the_loop.jpg

in an upcoming microbiology book. They sent me a release that they want me to sign. Granted, this pic is not that difficult to take and there might be more like this on the web somewhere, so I cant’t ask for too much. But I wouldn’t mind them sending me at least some compensation maybe even in form of a text book. They don’t ask for an exclusive license either.

This reminded me that I have to add some licensing wording on my web page. My intend is to allow the non commercial use (no financial or equivalent gain) of any of the content if the source is properly cited. Any other use, like the above requested, would require my written consent. Is it sufficienct for me to put it into wording like this or do I have to make sure that I use certain language to avoid loopholes?

Anyway, I thought that was an encouraging start of the week..

Kai

I think your suggested wording is adequate. From what I understand, it is already implied that use requires permission without any additional warnings. Copyright statements are just icing on the cake.

As long as your wording can't be interpreted incorrectly, you are fine. Btw your pages on yeast culturing are excellent!

As long as your wording can't be interpreted incorrectly, you are fine. Btw your pages on yeast culturing are excellent!

Glad you like the yeast culturing stuff. Even though I wrote it early during my yeast culturing endeavors I still do it the same way and it works really well. No contamination issues, fairly low overhead but I need to get started a week early if I want to grow a pitch of yeast from a slant which I do for almost every batch.

As for licensing, someone on the NB forum mentioned the Creative Commons licenses which can easily be adapted for my needs. I plan to go with that.

Kai

Kaiser
The links to the yeast culturing equipment are mostly dead. Great site! Is the publisher offering anything for the usage?
-Ben

Kaiser
The links to the yeast culturing equipment are mostly dead. Great site! Is the publisher offering anything for the usage?
-Ben

I know. I should remove them. The idea was to make byuing easy but I Tony want to have the maintenance liability of keeping up with them.

They offer me a copy of the book. That's fine. I didn't look for money anyway and would have also been fine with any of their already published books.

At the end, it's not that unique of a photo.

Kai

Check out the creative commons licenses, they could be useful to you. You can specify the conditions like non-commercial, attribution, share-alike, etc... to fit your needs.

Check out the creative commons licenses, they could be useful to you. You can specify the conditions like non-commercial, attribution, share-alike, etc... to fit your needs.

I already did that. I'm not so much interested in share alike as I'm in controlling commercial use.

Kai

Back