How long can I hold open dry yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I bought a pack of us-05 to add some yeast to a batch and I only used a little bit. So now I've got like 3/4 of a pack in the fridge and it's been there for 10 days or so. Fermentis website says 7 days below 39 degrees, do you think I'm safe to use it for a small batch of cider? Will adding a nutrient help? Oh, it is in a ziplock bag in the fridge.

It should be ok. I split packs sometimes on big batches, I seal the end up with my food saver. Never a problem yet.

A few years ago, when I was first playing aorund with wine, I used half a pack of some generic dry wine yeast for a batch and left the other half open and sitting in the back of a shelf in the bathroom for 2 years. I found it, and was curious about whether it was still good, so I cooked up a simple table sugar, water, and yeast nutrient solution and tossed it in there; it was still good. Could have been an infection, of course. However, YMMV, of course. :p

I'd toss it. It's cheap and several friends have had bad luck reusing opened yeast packs. To me, it's not worth risking a batch for a couple bucks.

Well I guess fate made the decision. I was actually going to grab it to take out of town to a friends house to get him interested in brewing. So I packed everything except the yeast. So I stopped by a brew store down south and got a fresh pack and started a batch of cider.

Back