fermenting beer taste test, few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
so my scottish 60 has been in primary for four days. i'm about to go away for a week and i wanted to take a little taste test before i left. well i did, and it tasted very watered down. i also have fears that it has stopped fermenting. it smells like alcohol but tastes like water. when i brewed i put two. gals in the fermenter then brewed another 2.5 added and mixed well. is it possible that i put in too much water? will this go away as time passes? and about the stuck fermentation, lag time was about 3 hours then vigorous fermentation for about 12 forming kearson and all, it subsided and now it seems as though nothing is happening. any tips or tricks for a first time brewer?

And stop judging taste before it is carbed and conditioned. Many beers will not taste good coming out of the fermenter, but will be great when mature and carbed.

You really really really can't tell what a beer is going to taste like until it's been in the bottle (for at least 3 weeks @ 70) fully carbed and conditioned...Your beer is going to go through SO MANY changes between now and then, that you won't even recognize it...

There's nothing wrong with your beer now, except that it is ONLY 4 days old...A lot of stuff is happening under the surface....the airlock not bubbling doesn't mean that the yeast aren't doing their jobs for you. They've been doing it for 5,000 years, and they know what they need to do.

Many of us leave our beers alone for 3-4 weeks then bottle....

Just walk away for now, and relax.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

:D

Back