Did Sam Adams change or is it me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Dumb question. I tried Sam Adams Boston Lager some years ago and nearly spit it right back out. Recently I tried it again because a friend bought a case of Sam Adams variety pack while we did his front and rear minivan brakes in my garage. He left me with the remainder, and as I ran out of everything else, I tried one again before throwing them away.

It was quite shocking--it was actually good. I didn't mind it, and thought it was a nice beer. Did Sam Adams change in the last 10 years? They do have several more beers than when I tried it when it first got mass marketed. Or did my tastes mature? Which is it? Could my tastes have changed that much?

If you want to relive that feeling from 10 years ago, go ahead and pick up one of the Cranberry Lambics.

That will definitely take you back in beer hell history. (But be warned)
-Me

I don't have many complaints about Sam Adams Beers except the Cranberry Lambic and the Cherry Wheat. I'd drink BL all day and be happy.

hahahaha, their cranberry lambic has to be one of the greatest beer abominations of history.

There was a time I thought SABL was way too hoppy. I type this half way through a pint of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA.

I was at Chili's for dinner last night and asked what was on tap. Typical BMC, then SA and SA seasonal. Ok, I'll take the seasonal because I recently caught the winter lager at the airport and thought it was pretty good. They bring me a summer ale... in January. I sent it back.

I was at Chili's for dinner last night and asked what was on tap. Typical BMC, then SA and SA seasonal. Ok, I'll take the seasonal because I recently caught the winter lager at the airport and thought it was pretty good. They bring me a summer ale... in January. I sent it back.

Must be you have to specify which season :)

Sam Adams has gotten better. Their competition changed from BMC to craft brewers and they responded.

There was a time I thought SABL was way too hoppy. I type this half way through a pint of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA.

you mean craig wasn't crawling all over chili's beer cooler to make sure their product was up to date? ;)

i can actually drink the lambic, and it don't bother me. it does have that ropey horsey taste, just a tad sweet. i can also chug miller high life, and seemed to have lost my eac card, wait... i never had one! :D

Back