Extreme amount of sediment at bottom or carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
apple juice that ive had good experience with before, about 1.5lbs brown sugar, S04 yeast. cleaned everything really well. Ill let the picture do the rest of the talking, hopefully you guys can tell me what is wrong

badbrew.jpg

That is exactly how my batch looked before racking. 5 gal motts, 1lb dk brn sugar, 1 lb lt brn sugar, 12oz honey, s-04. I poured another batch on top of that stuff and now most of it stayed on the top of the second batch.

Are you sure it's not a lot of sediment, but rather because the picture is frickin huge?? :pThat amount of sediment is normal.

Agreed. I've got a cyser (apple cider + honey) on the go right now, and the first racking, I always have to sacrifice a few liters to not suck up the pile accumulated on bottom. It's normal.

so with the montrachet yeast it wasnt necessary to rack to a secondary. Im thinking i probably should with this batch though? should i just wait till there isnt very much action then rack it then take a hydro reading?

So its been in a secondary for like 4 days now. It was at 1.05 when i racked it so i put 5 campden tablets in it. It hasnt shown any signs of clearing. How long do you guys think it will take? The juice I used has cleared well for me in the past, it did take a while though, plus i used dark brown sugar this time

Edit: 1.005

So its been in a secondary for like 4 days now. It was at 1.05 when i racked it so i put 5 campden tablets in it. It hasnt shown any signs of clearing. How long do you guys think it will take? The juice I used has cleared well for me in the past, it did take a while though, plus i used dark brown sugar this time

If it's still at 1.050, it's a LONG way from done. Are you sure about the reading?

umm its done. I wanted it a little sweet. It pretty much stopped when i reracked it anyways. But i also added campden tabs

well i also put it in front of my window every night. probably gets the cider down to about 50 degrees. If it ferments a little more im not too worried, but i dont see any action going on.

Will it ever fully clear since i used dark brown sugar?

I doubt that it's completely done, putting it in front of a window and using campden might slow it down, but won't stop it. Also, if you add sugar to it, if you plan on sweetening it, it'll start right back up again. I wouldn't consider it done until the SG gets to between .990 and .996 or so, and it doesn't lower any more. Again, it'll clear when it's finished. Brown sugar or no, it'll still clear once fermentation is over and it's ready to clear.

Back