First 10 Gallon Batch - One question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofiefoot

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to accurately divide a 10 gallon batch between 2 fermenting buckets out of our 15 gallon brew pot?

We're doing another batch of our first attempt - AHB West Coast Pale Ale - and want to double the mini-mash recipe. Sounds like all other processes should be exactly the same as a 5 gallon batch, except for this.

Jason

Fill bucket 1 to 5 gallons. STOP.
Fill bucket 2 to 5 gallons. STOP.
10 gallons in two buckets.

Don't mean to be a smarta$$, just not sure what it is your really asking.

Great recipe.

Fill up a gallon jug with water, dump into fermenter, repeat four times. Put tape or use a permanent marker to put a line at the 5 gallon mark. Duplicate the mark on the other fermenter.

That's it. :)

Heck, be a smartass all you want - it's part of being a brewer, right? :D

Sorry I wasn't clear and I'm sure it's as obvious as it sounds. We're doing a mini mash, so our final boiled wort won't equal 10 gallons - more like 4-5, then we'll fill the rest with "clean" water in the fermentor. I want to make sure both buckets end up the same gravity, etc. and wanted to make sure there wasn't some ingenius way to pour 40+lbs of liquid quickly and evenly into a container. Our fermenting buckets have volume indicators on the side, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Since you have a big pot, I would just add your top up water to 10 gallons in the brew pot, and then divide evenly between the fermenters. If your pot has a spigot you can just use a sanitized hose to transfer, otherwise you can siphon out the wort since the pot will be too heavy to lift (I use the siphon method).

Back