Dry hopping a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstacey44

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a 6 Gallon Pale Ale brewing (from kit), and I was looking to dry hop. I have the following hops available :

3 oz Saaz
2 oz EKG
2 oz Fuggles
2 oz Columbus

Can anyone suggest which of these hops (or combination) to use?

Thanks!
-Chris

What did you use for the Pale Ale? You typically want to dry hop with the same hop(s) you used as the aroma addition in the boil.

Pre-made wort? That seems like it takes the fun out of the process. I tried to do some research but I can't find any info on the hops used. Maybe try bringing in a sample to your LHBS to see if they can pick out any of the hops. I'd just draw it from the fermenter, don't carb it or anything.

I did find that someone [shamefully?] entered the Pale Ale into a competition and won though. So it must be a pretty good wort.

EDIT: Found a post where someone mentioned using Cascade with good effect. So...maybe try an ounce of Columbus?

Yeh I agree, its cheating a bit, but I just dont have the time to make the wort right now (recent 1st time dad). I'll give the columbus a try ,and see how it turns out!

Thanks!

-Chris

Yeh I agree, its cheating a bit, but I just dont have the time to make the wort right now (recent 1st time dad).

Meh, I won't judge. It can be a fun process still. You're still adding a personal touch to it by dry hopping.

I'm kind of dreading what'll happen to my hobby when I start having kids. That day isn't very far off :D.

I think that columbus is not particularly as dry-hoppable as fuggles or goldings, but I've seen it put to good effect in some pale ales. That said, goldings for me is the classic dry-hop here in the UK since over a hundred years ago. Saaz is maybe more of an interesting spicey option!

Latest posts

Back