American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RugenBrau said:
I don't have any Vienna. How would this work with 5lbs of Munich?

Probably just as well. Maybe a bit bready and slightly darker in color. Maybe up the late additions of the hops to balance it back out if you want. I think it would be fine.

I was going to dry hop with 2 oz. for 5 days

I'd do longer, but it's personal preference.

I'd suggest tossing some more in late in the boil, myself, but honestly, it's going to be subtle in your change in grain. The Munich will be a nice touch I think, so don't go wild with it. Just a stronger malt profile.

I don't have any Vienna. How would this work with 5lbs of Munich?

try half pilsner half munich or I would use like 2/3 pilsner 1/3 munich of your 5 #. Its about as close as you can get maybe without using vienna. I dont think I would use that much munich 5# to be close to this recipe. Not saying you may not like it, but just to be closer dont think I would use more than 3 if you dont have pilsner. I would think 2.5 and call it good with straight munich. Just my opinion.

try half pilsner half munich or I would use like 2/3 pilsner 1/3 munich of your 5 #. Its about as close as you can get maybe without using vienna. I dont think I would use that much 5# to be close to this recipe. Not saying you may not like it, but just to be closer dont think I would use more than 3 if you dont have pilsner. I would think 2.5 and call it good with straight munich. Just my opinion.

I took Yoopers recipe as a base, and up'd all the malts and did my own hop schedule for a nice DIPA with a good malt back bone. I raised the munich more than the vienna, and even used maris otter for the base, which is way more flavorful and bready than 2 row.

I got the pronounced bready malt back bone, so I think he will be okay 5 # if he does a bit more in the hop schedule, it'll be a good beer, but won't be "close" to this recipe.

Yooper has a great recipe here, and she has a balanced one, but it's also a get recipe that you can tweak the additional malts a bit in any direction and have a great beer, that is what makes it so good.

That said, the pilsner idea is a great idea to divide it up if he doesn't want the really darker breadier flavor. Just be sure to do a 90 minute boil if you use the pilsner malt.

Hi,
I pulled a 9 day old sample of this and it was at 1.015, started at 1.052
Not sure if it will get much lower but I will let it sit in the primary for another 5-7 days and see.
The sample was great...I mean really great.

I tweaked the recipe based on what I had around -
4# 2 row
6# Vienna
2# Munich
.5# C40 and C80
Used Cascades and 5 minute addition of Williamette for 38 IBU
Pacman Yeast

thanks Kevin

Making this tomorrow, I received a Blichmann hop rocket for Christmas, so It will be my first time using it as well. I'm thinking about putting the 5 minute and flameout additions in the hop rocket. Any thoughts?

P.S. - This will be the fourth recipe of yours I have brewed, so I know it's going to be a winner!

Looking to brew this on Sunday, I only have a 5 gallon mt so ill drop 1/2 lb off the 2 row and 1/4 lb off the munich and vienna. Does that sound good to everyone?

Chuckabrewski said:
So the LHBS didnt have any vienna and subbed it for 2 lb caravienna

Caravienne is a crystal malt, if that was their idea to sub that for Vienna, take it back. Subbing caravienne will give you 3lbs of crystal in a 11lb recipe.

Yea i just looked it up. I wish I knew that earlier I cut the recipe down to 10lb so its 2lb caravienna in place of 3lb vienna. What is that going to do to the taste slightly sweeter?

Chuckabrewski said:
Yea i just looked it up. I wish I knew that earlier I cut the recipe down to 10lb so its 2lb caravienna in place of 3lb vienna. What is that going to do to the taste slightly sweeter?

I made the same mistake before ordering online, it was only 1lb and there was only .5lb of c10 in the recipe (total of 1.5lb crystal) It was a totally different beer than intended, but it was drinkable. You have .5lb of C20, .5lb of C40 and 2lb of caravienne (which is very close to C20) For a total if 30% crystal malt. Someone with more experience will have to answer that for you.

Chuckabrewski said:
How did yours turn out?

It was my first AG, so I was amazed by it. I do not know what 30% crystal will do in a pale ale though. If it was your LHBS idea to sub caravienne for Vienna, call them and take it back. They should know better.

*edit- I'm assuming this was mixed and crushed together

It was my first AG, so I was amazed by it. I do not know what 30% crystal will do in a pale ale though. If it was your LHBS idea to sub caravienne for Vienna, call them and take it back. They should know better.

*edit- I'm assuming this was mixed and crushed together

sure is

Chuckabrewski said:

I would call them and take it back, if it was your idea (they still should have questioned you) you would have to add 20lb of base, mix it well and divide it by 3 to come close to what the author intended. Or you can make it and let us know what 30% crystal is like in a pale, I have no clue what it would be like.
I have been drinking, so my math is most likely flawed.

I would call them and take it back, if it was your idea (they still should have questioned you) you would have to add 20lb of base, mix it well and divide it by 3 to come close to what the author intended. Or you can make it and let us know what 30% crystal is like in a pale, I have no clue what it would be like.

They are closed already and not open till Tuesday so I'm just going to brew it up. I have some corn sugar laying around ill toss in there too. At the end of the day it will still be beer.

Chuckabrewski said:
They are closed already and not open till Tuesday so I'm just going to brew it up. I have some corn sugar laying around ill toss in there too. At the end of the day it will still be beer.

Best of luck to you, please report back and let us know how it turns out.

30% crystal would be sweet, and high in finished gravity.

And you'd probably need an insulin shot.

But if you can mash really, really low and long, and add some sugar to dry it out.. Add some extra hops to balance the sweetness, I think you can make it work.

FATC1TY said:
30% crystal would be sweet, and high in finished gravity.

And you'd probably need an insulin shot.

But if you can mash really, really low and long, and add some sugar to dry it out.. Add some extra hops to balance the sweetness, I think you can make it work.

+1 some of my worse, and a whole lot of my best, beers have come from me messing up one or more items and just making adjustments on the fly and seeing what you can do with what you have.

Will you make the precise beer you were after? Nope. Will you make beer? Yep. And if you take this as a learning opportunity, a chance to take what you have on hand and manipulate your process to get closer to what you were targeting, I can guarantee it will make you a better brewer.

Everything FATC1TY says above will help you account for the additional unfermentables in your grain bill. The only additional things i can think you might want to consider would be your yeast choice, pitch rate and aeration. Not sure what you're using for yeast. But I would pick a high attenuator and use a yeast calculator an starter if necessary to ensure you're pitching a sufficient amount of healthy yeast into a well aerated wort. You want to squeeze every potential percentage point of attenuation out of your yeast.

And it stands to reason that you'll want to avoid any yeast that is billed as "malty" or "leaves residual sweetness"

BTW, I would just save the cara for another batch. You can sub it with another crystal you plan to use. Sure, that would be different, but that would give you a way to use it, and you likely wouldn't be able to tell much. 3 lbs of crystal in a batch is going to be sweet, no matter what you do.

Well, it's a shame because caravienna is not even close to Vienna malt. Vienna malt is a nice malty base malt. Caravienna is basically crystal 20L. Not even close to the same thing, and not at all a sub. I'd definitely talk to them about this- it'd be like subbing sugar for tomato sauce in a spaghetti sauce recipe! Not at all good.

If you already brewed it, you can expect a sweet American amber that is too sweet in the finish.

Well, it's a shame because caravienna is not even close to Vienna malt. Vienna malt is a nice malty base malt. Caravienna is basically crystal 20L. Not even close to the same thing, and not at all a sub. I'd definitely talk to them about this- it'd be like subbing sugar for tomato sauce in a spaghetti sauce recipe! Not at all good.

If you already brewed it, you can expect a sweet American amber that is too sweet in the finish.

Yea i wish i knew earlier but i cant do anything about it now they are closed until Tuesday and all the malt was milled together. I will be way out of style guidelines but ill still have beer. Don't worry Yooper ill RDWHAHB and try again with the correct ingredients.

BTW I feel like a complete idiot!!!!!

Yea i wish i knew earlier but i cant do anything about it now they are closed until Tuesday and all the malt was milled together. I will be way out of style guidelines but ill still have beer. Don't worry Yooper ill RDWHAHB and try again with the correct ingredients.

BTW I feel like a complete idiot!!!!!

I know this may not be the best option, but you could split the entire grain bill for another batch. You could take the grain and cut it in half, and replace half the grain with base malt. You'd still be 1.5 times the crystal, but that would be far less noticeable. You could also do it twice and be dead on. Granted, you would need to mill the new base malt, but you'd have enough grain for more brewing immediately behind it. You could also switch this over to a much more bitter IPA. An IPA would cover the extra sweetness better.

Another option would be to brew another identical batch right behind it, but leave the cara out. Once they both finish fementing, rack equal parts into the bottling bucket, and then bottle it out.

Sorry to suggest a ton more work (but more beer :) ).

Edit: It looks like others have suggested the above, too. I didn't see that when I posted. Nonetheless, that's an option.

20130113_174103.jpg

Well it ended up more of an amber then a pale ale (even though the pic looks brown). I split the batch with a friend it was my first time using my turkey fryer burner and keggel boiled off about 2 gallons. Both ended up with 2 gallons each in the fermenter. The OG was 1.070.

Although it wasn't under the most ideal circumstances I learned a lot about grain and my system. Thanks again to everyone who helped out. I'm already looking forward to brewing this with the correct ingredients.

I just picked up the stuff to make a partial mash of this on Saturday, and a couple extra better bottles as they were bogo.
I am going to use
3lb vienna
2lb munich
1/2lb each of caramel 20 and 60L
3lb light muntons dme

us-05
I am going to follow the original hop sched. in the first post.
This will be only my second brew outside of the Mr. Beer.
I am already $300 deep in equipment and ingredients and my first batch isnt even done fermenting.

Well it is in the fermenter ended up at 1.055, I'm probably almost a quart low on water though in the fermenter. Will update with results asap. I substituted .5 oz here there for centennial while hopping.

Hi,
I pulled a 9 day old sample of this and it was at 1.015, started at 1.052
Not sure if it will get much lower but I will let it sit in the primary for another 5-7 days and see.
The sample was great...I mean really great.

I tweaked the recipe based on what I had around -
4# 2 row
6# Vienna
2# Munich
.5# C40 and C80
Used Cascades and 5 minute addition of Williamette for 38 IBU
Pacman Yeast

thanks Kevin

This is a a great beer -
Next time I will try to up the IBU to 40-42 if I have enough hops but as is... it is still great as is and perfectly balanced.

8427378178_c85606ec39_z.jpg

thanks Kevin

I wanted to brew this up tomorrow but I haven't made a starter. I have the grain for a 6 gallon batch and a packet of nottingham. I've brewed with nottingham before with no starter and things went fine....but those were all 5 gallon batches. I also have a vial of English ale yeast on hand. The nearest LHBS is 40 miles away and I'd hate to go there if not needed. I'm debating on pitching both yeasts I have together.

Vigo_Carpathian said:
I wanted to brew this up tomorrow but I haven't made a starter. I have the grain for a 6 gallon batch and a packet of nottingham. I've brewed with nottingham before with no starter and things went fine....but those were all 5 gallon batches. I also have a vial of English ale yeast on hand. The nearest LHBS is 40 miles away and I'd hate to go there if not needed. I'm debating on pitching both yeasts I have together.

Notty will be fine for 6 gallons. I like to keep notty down in the lower sixties.

With us-05 I am down to 1.010 after 8 days at 66* and it is going to be veeerrry drinkable.

Has anyone brewed this with centennial in place of cascade?
I used some centennial recently. Was just trying to get rid of some hops in the fridge, so I did:

.75 oz Columbus @ 60
.25 oz Columbus @ 10
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
.5 oz Centennial @ flameout

Although I'm still dryhopping with an oz of Cascade. I'll let you know how it turns out!

It'll work for most any hop that you like honestly.

The grist is really good, and I made it a while back with just Falconers Flight 7C's and it was great.

Latest posts

Back