To anyone who owns a brew store or knows the business

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacula

Reaction score
How much would one pay for 750+ corny kegs? Ok, this is a long story. Here it goes. When I was in high school (just 5 years ago) Our thing was to explore abandon buildings. anyway, we went to an old school out in the middle of know where. The school was full of junk and piles and piles of corny kegs, corny kegs up and down the halls on all four floors. At least 700 of them. At the time I didnt know what they were. When I got into this hobby I relized what they were. It turns out the original owner of the building died. One of the neighbors bought the building Because he didnt want to see it torn down. Its a real nice old man that says the "soda cans" are still there. He was very flattered that I would offer him 500 bucks for all of them. I just dont know that much about them other then they are corny kegs. Is it a good investment?

I would think you'd be able to get at least $15 for one. 700*15= $10,500 - 500 = $10,000 profit....yea, not a bad investment.

But for giving you this advice I get two free ones.

That's a great find if you can get them all for $500. Let us know whem you're ready to start selling them. I'm sure you'd have plenty of customers on here.

Yea I would say that would be a great deal, hes getting 500 for useless soda cans and cleaning out his building, and you get to figure out where to put 700 cornies lol! I would do it if 500 makes him happy, its kinda a niche market so i wouldnt say you are ripping him off.

I wonder if this was the plan of the original owner of the building. Maybe he thought he'd turn a profit but the stress of storing the cornies was too much for him and he died! :) j/k good luck!
-Jefe-

Wow. Nice find! Clean them, make sure they function properly, set up a website, pimp it out and sell them for $30 a piece to the homebrewers...

That'd be a smokin deal! If you want a hand in trade for some corny's, I have a month off coming up real soon :D

OP, nice find. I think you'd do well selling them. I believe the rules/fees have changed on this board. You might be better off sending e-mail messages to home brew clubs in your and surrounding states. A few years ago, there was a vendor who sold cornys on this site. I managed to hook him up with a few brew clubs. IIRC, he sold ~150 kegs to those clubs, no problem.

Again, I don't know the vendor prices/policies of this board, but I'd think you'd have no problem selling them to brew clubs in your and surrounding areas.

At the least, buy them for the $500. You'll at the very least recoop your investment. Nice find.:mug:

I dunno.
Figure every one of those kegs needs new seals, cleaning and pressure testing. No way you will get 30 a piece for em, without refurbishing them.
Sittin in a school for years, if any of them had soda in em that mess won't be worth trying to clean up. Then you have to got to store and ship them. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of margin for you.
Maybe call some home brew supply shops and make a bulk deal, where you can drop off all the kegs at the shop.
It sounds like a find, but I highly doubt any of those kegs are usable as is or they wouldn't be sitting in an abandoned building.
Don't know what the scrap rate of steel is, but if 700 kegs scrapped are worth 500 bucks and you got nothing else to do with a few days worth of time, then go for it you got nothing to lose but time.
Just my two cents.

You found the MotherLode... You ARE the chosen one. You must complete the paradox -- You must sell corny kegs to the brewing masses at a hellacious profit, yet at a tremendous discount. :D

Post a pic (or a link to a pic) so we can see what they look like. Are they pin lock, ball lock, 50 yrs old???

I would say don't even refurbish them, if you want to sell them. 700 kegs is a lot for one person with (presumably) another job. Even if you sold them unrefurbished for 15 dollars, you would make a helluva profit, and it would be a helluva deal for everyone else.

Yeah i agree, Im off on monday, Il go out there and snap a few pics. Like I said I know nothing about kegging(havent worked up that far yet)

I say, as long as they haven't had a gallon of soda in them for the last decade, they should be good for selling as is.

Make sure whoever is buying them knows that they will need new seals and such.

And did I mention that I want to buy a couple?
:D

If you don't like the idea of selling them individually you may be able to make a gross sale to one of the corny sellers, like cornykeg.com, as I am sure they would be willing to give you a decent price to take the entire batch off your hands without having to worry about cleaning them, adding new seals, pressure testing, etc.

Please be advised: These are obviously haunted Cornelius Kegs from a Superfund Clean Up Site and should be disposed of in the proper manner. Please forward the entire lot by United States Carrier Pigeon Service for immediate disposal. Thank you for your concern about our environment. Should you decide to attempt environmental remediation yourself, please be advised that this Department of Homeland Brewing would still be interested in obtaining several samples of the contaminated containers, for long term cold storage research only, and is willing to offer the agreed upon remuneration as previously stated.
Thank you.

i dont know where in indiana you are located .i live in lower michigan and would be willing to bring a truckload home

I think sacula started drinking his "mushroom" beer and forgot about the kegs. PAYTON34 if you score any of these PM me and I'll take a couple off that truckload.
No need to refurb them for me.

I don't mean to sound like a pontificating ass, but at $500/750 (that's only 67 cents each), I think you'd be taking advantage of the nice old man. They are worth more than that just as scrap metal.

I would suggest a "win/win" deal for both of you:
-Offer him like 2 to 4 bucks for every one you sell.
-If he'll let you access the building and keep storing them there, while you sell them off, you won't have to deal with storing them somewhere else.
-You can sell them "as is" (at least rinsed out), or refurbished.
-If you decide to refurbish them, buy the various washers/gaskets in bulk from McMaster-you'll save a lot of money buying in volume.
->You'll probably sell most of them here, without even advertising.

And btw, if they haven't been opened before, and still have pressure, the contents should still be non-spoiled. When I bought my kegs, they had been sitting in an open barn (for about 15 years), were covered in bird crap and dust/dirt. I pressed the gas poppet on each, and they all had pressure. When I opened them up, the remaining syrup was still sweet smelling-no mold, etc.

Sounds like a great find, and small business/profit profit project.

When you start selling them, please, please, please hit me up with a PM. I'm in need of some more cornies.

Thanks!
Amanda

Man this is a great find. I would totally be down for a bunch of these if you decide to sell them. Congrats on ye found treasure. Yarrr... :mug:

They're worth about $5 each in scrap stainless. As far as selling them without refurbing them, any that hiss when you pull the release should go for $20-25 as is. If they are not pressurized and you don't feel like testing, they could go $15 for a bulk deal (like 10 for $150). At that price the buyer should accept one of them not being serviceable.

When are you shipping these? I want 3 or 4 of them. Pin lock or Ball lock? Pics? no pics = useless thread :)

Unless you can wholesale these it could be a royal pain getting rid of them without setting up your own business and possibly eventually paying taxes on the whole thing. Plus whatever time and money you have to invest (meeting with people, seals, $hipping, etc) If it was me I would keep some for resale/trade and/or personal use and just send the rest to scrap.

For the easiset sollution to unload them, send some PMs to the vendors on this site that sell kegs and see if they'd be interested in the lot to save you the pita of breaking up the lot and shipping to individuals. They may even pay for the shipping. Never know?

Back