POLL--what should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I brew with the second runnings?

• ESB

• Oatmeal Stout

• English Pale Ale

• American Pale Ale

• Brown porter

• Other-please specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to experiment with something different today...I'm going to collect a second run-off from the Loose Cannon batch and do a mini brew on the stove.
Ingredients I have on hand:

Grains:
Chocolate wheat
oatmeal
2 row
crystal 120, 60, 40, 20
special b
aromatic
wheat

These will have to be steeped. I also have DME on hand in case I need to fix the gravity.

Once I get a good idea on a style, I'll worry about hops--i have about 10 (EDIT: Errr....19) varieties to choose from.

Yeast has to be safale 56 or nottingham--I'm leaning towards using the nottingham.

POLL CLOSES AT 1PM EST.

I can't imagine a better brew to pull out in a few weeks than a nice stout. Mine usually get enough carbonation in just ten days and that would put you right on target for St. Patty's day. :mug:

FWIW, here are the hops I have on hand (assume it is enought to do a full batch):

EKG
Sorach Ace
Simcoe
Amarillo
Fuggle
pacific Gem
Newport
perle
willamette
Mt. hood
warrior
columbus
glacier
hallertau mittlefrue
horizon
chinook
northern brewer
phoenix
cascade

I have taken this opportunity to inventory my hops....HOLY CRAP. I am a SICk individual.

I said ESB, but I'm thinking more pale ale. Something nice and clean. Good spring beer. Fuggles and EKG. Half-pound of wheat for head retention. Some crystal 20, keep it pretty pale. Nottingham. Gravity around 1045 - 1050, IBUs maybe 35-40. Session beer.

Dude said:
Need me to change your vote?

Whatever I do, it will be a low grav session beer.

I'm surprised we don't have 1 vote for APA yet... :D

Personally, I was making the assumption that you probably have a lot of domestically-hopped pale ales already kicking around, that maybe doing something more English in character would be a little bit different.

the_bird said:
Personally, I was making the assumption that you probably have a lot of domestically-hopped pale ales already kicking around, that maybe doing something more English in character would be a little bit different.

Yeah, definitely. I kind of want an English session style beer around.

You've got your answer, then. ESB / English Pale Ale / English Old Ale, it doesn't matter, it's just nice to have something with those flavors as a complement to the aggressive, highly-hopped domestic IPAs. I've been thinking that the next IPA I do may be more Brit in character, rather than the same old citrus.

How about we put up 5 polls about malt choices and 2 polls about hops? :D

I vote Stout. You need something irish for St. Patty's day. It's on a Saturday this year!

Cheesefood said:
I vote Stout. You need something irish for St. Patty's day. It's on a Saturday this year!

I voted the same way for the same reason.

I've also got Oatmeal Stout on the brain, because we'll have the ingredients on hand after this weekend's brew session.

ESB with no Kent Goldings...bummer, I think these are classic for the ESB. I'm sure it will turn out nice though

Dude said:
FWIW, here are the hops I have on hand (assume it is enought to do a full batch):

*ridiculous hops list snipped*

I have taken this opportunity to inventory my hops....HOLY CRAP. I am a SICk individual.

Yes you are, sir, and I salute you! :rockin:

LOL!!

Okay, I'm steeping .5 crystal 120 ( I want a toffee like background) and .5 flaked wheat for a really good head.

I haven't decided 100% on hops but I have some time to think about it...EKG for sure....maybe some Phoenix or fuggle...

Dude said:
Nottingham? Are you mad? :D

Quite possibly. (If not probably.)

High attenuationand low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas don't quite match my expectations for an English style ESB.

-a.

ajf said:
Quite possibly. (If not probably.)

High attenuationand low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas don't quite match my expectations for an English style ESB.

-a.

Huh? That is classic ESB. I think you need to review the BJCP guideline for an ESB. ;)

The BJCP guidlines describe a style of beer from a global perspective that varies widely.
Strictly speaking, there is only one English ESB as ESB is a registered trade name. It is a cask conditioned Ale made by Fullers at Chiswick in London, and is noticeably different than the bottled variety available in the US.
A high attenuating, low ester yeast is not in my opinion suitable for a Fullers ESB, or for the other commercial examples mentioned in the guidelines that I was familiar with.

-a.

ajf said:
The BJCP guidlines describe a style of beer from a global perspective that varies widely.
Strictly speaking, there is only one English ESB as ESB is a registered trade name. It is a cask conditioned Ale made by Fullers at Chiswick in London, and is noticeably different than the bottled variety available in the US.
A high attenuating, low ester yeast is not in my opinion suitable for a Fullers ESB, or for the other commercial examples mentioned in the guidelines that I was familiar with.

-a.

It seems you want to split hairs here. Fine.

I used Nottingham a) because I had it (and it was a better choice than safale-56), b) my past experience with Nottingham is that it creates enough esters and fruity aromas to qualify, c) I think I'm a good enough brewer to manipulate ferment temps and/or ingredients to make a pretty accurate English style ESB.

If you'd care to PM me your address, I'll send you one and you can critique it for me.

Hey, Dude, I think you recipes and techniques for Pliny the Bastid were all messed up. But I'd be fine with you sending me the keg to prove me wrong. :D

Back