Hydrometer reading before pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I have a new batch of lager on the stove right now. Should I take a hydrometer reading today, or not even worry about 1 until bottling time? Thanks!

Yep, take a reading today. That will be your starting (or original) gravity. You will need that number to calculate your ABV if desired.

If you are adding "top off" water to the fermenter, make sure that it is well mixed into the wort before you draw the sample for the hydrometer reading.

If you follow an extract recipe (or kit directions) correctly, there's almost zero chance that your OG will be substantially different than what the recipe says. In other words, it's not really necessary to take a hydrometer reading at all. But it might help you feel confident that you did it right, if this is your first batch (or close to it).

Thanks guys. I am also bring it to its first boil and there are tons of little clumps of something circulating around. I added a half quart of an adjunct so maybe it is clumps of sugary substance? Interesting.

Back