NorCal bulk grain buy pics!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
Coming soon to a home brew forum near you...:rockin::mug::rockin:

My portion:
50# White Wheat Malt
100# Pale Ale Malt
100# 2-row Malt
25# Pilsner Malt
25# Crystal 60L
25# Vienna
12.5# Munich
12.5# Roasted Barley
12.5# Chocolate

haha yes, we bought virtual grain. All I can say is WOW! I don't think the suspension of my truck was too happy after we loaded up a bit over 1,000 pounds of grain! My share included 100lbs of pale ale malt, 100 lbs of wheat, and various split bags of munich, vienna, c60L, chocolate, roast, and pils.

All in all, great success! Just to prove otherwise to the haters, here's a teaser cell phone pic. All the rest are on twoheadsbrewing's camera, so they'll have to wait for him to have time to upload.
IMAGE_052.jpg

Ok, at long last....pics!!!

It was a fantastic day in Northern California...green meadows, wildflowers, sunlight dancing on the foothills of the sierra nevadas. Great day for a drive, and more importantly a great day to pick up a crapton of grain!

DSCF0029.JPG

Grain oh sweet grain!
DSCF0037.JPG

Hmm, is this all going to fit in there???
DSCF0038.JPG

Yes, there was beer...and we introduced it to the young sprouts. They need a good role model ya know. Unfortunately, we introduced the virgin grains to the Notty Little Amber...
DSCF0039.JPG

Yep, it's all in there...all 1300 pounds of it. 1300 is 1/2 ton right?
DSCF0040.JPG

Yeah, we likes the pale ale malt...great replacement for 2-row and even marris otter.
DSCF0042.JPG

And just to confirm our dedication to brew, the beer gods smiled upon us and bestowed upon us this gift. It was a promise that we would never be without beer again.
DSCF0045.JPG

Thank you, kind beer gods...
DSCF0047.JPG

And then we proceeded to clean out the home depot of their buckets and lids. In fact, they ran out of the orange lids...so they gave us the white lids for the orange lid price ($.98 vs. $1.98). Bucket and lid together are under $4 and will hold 25# of grain. I like vittle vaults, but for the price you can't beat these buckets.

DSCF0050.JPG

Caspio's stash...with some remaining bags of malt still to be bucketed:
DSCF0055.JPG

And my stash...over 350# of grain!!!
DSCF0056.JPG

Many, many thanks to Jaybird who organized this buy. I know it's a royal PITA to get a big order like this together, and you even unloaded it by hand. I thank you sir! And thanks also to Caspio for making the 1.5hr drive...I appreciate your time and company. And now...let's get busy brewing!!!

:rockin::mug::rockin:

Yes, many thanks to jay for organizing the buy, who right now is hard at work instead of relaxing with a homebrew.

In prep for this grain buy, I've been planning out my next few brews. Between that, and hearing the LHBS was getting ready to raise prices on hops, I figured I might as well get everything else I needed.

First up, nottingham, White labs european ale, and wyeast bohemian lager. In the background, my LHBS' entire supply of smoked malt (approx 6#) some DME for starters, and a little carapils and 40l for one of the brews.
IMG_2610.JPG

Next up, something in the neighborhood of 24 ounces of delicious fresh whole leaf hops. Hard to beat $1 an ounce! Got goldings, willamette, sterling, centennial, and cascade.
IMG_2611.JPG

Anyway, that's pretty much it for now. I have all the ingredients I need for at least my next 4 brews. After that, I should still have some hops but might be needing more yeast. I <3 bulk buys :rockin:

Sorta off topic but what size are those buckets? Wanna see if HD in Canada carries the same size. I just picked up a few more bags of grain from Gambrinus today.

Those buckets are just your standard 5 gallon "homer" buckets. They hold 25# of grain each...maybe a bit more if you pack it down. $2.78 for the bucket, $0.98 for the lid...not bad!

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my portion of the Denver Group Grain buy that I participated in. We are supposed to have it in a weeks time.

Those buckets are just your standard 5 gallon "homer" buckets. They hold 25# of grain each...maybe a bit more if you pack it down. $2.78 for the bucket, $0.98 for the lid...not bad!

Yeah it was weird, but it depended on the type of grain. Some, 25# left a couple inches of free space at the top, and others, you could barely get the lid on.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my portion of the Denver Group Grain buy that I participated in. We are supposed to have it in a weeks time.

the waiting was definitely hard. our order kept getting pushed back because of issues with the grain supplier, so we switched suppliers, and then had more issues with the new one. jay is a saint for sticking with it and getting the order in. now I just need to figure out what I'm brewing this weekend :ban:

I had no problem getting 55# of wheat in 2 buckets, but it wasnt really close on the 2 row... needed enough more that it wasnt jamable! that being said, for 4$......

I had no problem getting 55# of wheat in 2 buckets, but it wasnt really close on the 2 row... needed enough more that it wasnt jamable! that being said, for 4$......

Yeah, I noticed that too about the wheat. It seems like a much denser grain than barley, which is why I suppose it doesn't take up as much space.

NICE!!! I gotta get in on that if you guys do it again.

Just bought some stuff from the LHBS in Chico and was surprised to see the price of hops had gone up. But still, 3 bones for 2oz isn't bad.

hahaha what up? thanks again for including me in that order : )...awesome pics I still have to get more buckets lol.

How did I miss this thread? Hay guys it was my pleasure putting it together. Took a little longer than I had hoped, but doesn&#8217;t it always. The last of the pre ordered grain left the house today. Onward and upward!
THB the pict of the rainbow... Classic! 1300# ½ ton LMAO!
Cheers
JJ

This is what 2400# looks like. Ya it doesn’t look like much until your offloading it by hand. Or at least 3/4 of it anyway LOL.
The driver was so cool about helping out I gave him a CBC shirt and a hat.

Now lets get brewing!

Cheers
JJ

I feel guilty going into the LHBS but I already spend a crap ton of money there...well besides my friend good friend Craig and his list...

I feel guilty going into the LHBS but I already spend a crap ton of money there...well besides my friend good friend Craig and his list...

I had a brief pang of guilt, but it didn't last long. I have no problem buying locally, even if the price is a little higher. But when there's a significant savings, then sorry, I'll buy elsewhere. I had already researched buying bulk from B3 when I was visiting family near their bay area location, so Jay putting this together just made things easier on me.

I had a brief pang of guilt, but it didn't last long. I have no problem buying locally, even if the price is a little higher. But when there's a significant savings, then sorry, I'll buy elsewhere. I had already researched buying bulk from B3 when I was visiting family near their bay area location, so Jay putting this together just made things easier on me.

Ditto on that. We were contemplating driving down to B3 to pick up grain, and even with the cost of gas it was considerably cheaper. When it's close, I'll buy local...if not then I feel like I'm getting gouged, whether that is the case or not.

WOW!!!!
Damn Ed..... I bow to the king of "The bulk buy"!
Who did you all buy from?

That was the third annual Austin Bulk Grain Co-op buy. The first was 1 pallet, the 2nd was 2 pallets and this third one was 4 full pallets of malt.

thetruckishere.jpg

Each year we have doubled our order from North Country Malt. Next year we will max out at 5 pallets as that is the limit for this truck. :D

any idea what the $/# savings is? I'd love to buy at a cheaper rate.

Well for our buy it was about 1/2 price, or there a bouts. Maybe a little better. Some malt is cheaper than others. But all in all. I had fun putting it together. I got about 900# of grain out of the deal. And I helped a few fellow home brewers get some grain, that they can stock pile in their closets and piss off their SWMBO....Yes THB I am talking about you! LOL:D

Well for our buy it was about 1/2 price, or there a bouts. Maybe a little better. Some malt is cheaper than others. But all in all. I had fun putting it together. I got about 900# of grain out of the deal. And I helped a few fellow home brewers get some grain, that they can stock pile in their closets and piss off their SWMBO....Yes THB I am talking about you! LOL:D

LOL, yeah...the walk-in closet full of 14 buckets of malt isn't so popular :D. But hey, she keeps drinking my beer so I'm good!

d@mn Ed, that's a lot of grain. We can only hope to be as awesome as you one day ;)

in other news, i'm definitely getting my value out of the buckets. you can find all sorts of uses for them. My friend borrowed and didn't return the folding tables that usually support our ping pong table top, so i had to improvise.
photo.jpg

Back