Yeast Opinions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Making an English Style Bitter...

Was considering going with either White Labs English Ale WLp002 or Wyeast London ESB 1968. Thoughts?

If I went with dry, maybe just S-04?

All three are excellent choices. The 002 and 1968 are (I believe) the same yeast, while the S-04 is similar, but not quite the same.
I prefer the liquid versions, but use the S-04 as a backup. If you do use the liquid yeast, you can recover much of the cost by harvesting and reusing the yeast. I typically get about 10 - 12 brews out of one vial/pack. I could get more, but the cost difference isn't worth it to me.

-a.

Can any of you help clarify what taste differences I might see between the choices?

Since it sounds like both of the liquids are the same, or nearly the same, my best guess would be that the S-04 would be a "cleaner" end result, while the liquids would likely be a bit more fruity, malty, even a tad sweeter....

paraphrased from Midwest:

Safale S-04: fast fermentation; very compact sediment, helping to improve beer clarity. Sedimentation: high. Final gravity: medium.

W1968 London ESB ale yeast:extremely flocculent; slightly sweeter finish; fairly fruity; Diacetyl production is noticeable and a thorough rest is necessary.

WL002- English Ale Yeast: This classic ESB strain is from one of England’s largest breweries. This yeast is best suited for English style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and English style stouts. Attenuation is 63-70% which leaves behind some residual sweetness not found in our California Ale Yeast.

S-04 sounds great, but if you are into liquid, my opinion would be the WL002. FWIW

Can any of you help clarify what taste differences I might see between the choices?

Since it sounds like both of the liquids are the same, or nearly the same, my best guess would be that the S-04 would be a "cleaner" end result, while the liquids would likely be a bit more fruity, malty, even a tad sweeter....

Your guess sounds pretty good to me.
The liquid yeasts are a bit more flocculant, which results in a clearer beer faster, and very occasionally they need rousing if they drop out before finishing the fermentation. In my opinion, the differences in flavor are very slight.

-a.

S-04 is my go-to yeast for Bitter. It always clears very well for me, and I enjoy the flavor profile. It has the added benefit of not requiring a starter, as liquid yeast always does. ;)

Bob

I just bottled an ESB using S-04 and it turned out great. Its actually turned out just like the description said it would that StoutFan posted. If you want to use liquid then WL002 works great too.

Just my $0.02...

Back