FRINGE (for struggling LOST addicts)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Anyone else catch the Fringe premiere?

I thought it was pretty good. Sort of a LOST-meets-X-Files thing. Should be an interesting season. They sure did wrap up the pilot pretty tight compared to your typical episode from a certain other show by the same producer...

Though I'm beginning to catch onto JJ's "start with an interesting premise, then keep raising more questions than you answer" technique for keeping a show popular. I'm thinking if you have to rely on that method to hook people in, something's wrong.

Yeah, caught it and made a (low priority) Season Pass out of it on tivo.

Some of it was interesting, some irritating. The main female lead looks like about 100 different other actresses, depending on how the camera catches her. Clair Danes, Maria Bello, etc.

I saw it last night, and so far I like it. I never really watched much X-files, and have never seen Lost, but this show looks like it could have promise.
A few minutes into it, my wife comes in the room and asks me what I'm watching. I tell her it's that new show Fringe and she asks how it is. I told her it started out with a planeload of people's faces melting off. For some reason, this didn't entice her to watch the rest of it.

Hah, TiVo. And here I am, still on basic cable.

I was a little upset at how they were able to get an insane convicted murderer out of a high-security mental institution and resurrect his secret Harvard laboratory (abandoned 17 years prior) with virtually zero difficulty.

I kind of liked it. Only problem is it's going to be on opposite Eueka on SciFi which I love. I know what you mean about getting the proff out of the asylum with just his son signing him out. Also did anyone catch when they were tracking down the guy who poisoned the people on the plane? They show the agents all running up the stairwell in the appt bldg for what looked like 4 or 5 floors and then they find a trap door to a lab? WTF happened to the floor below him, did he rent that out too?? Anyway I'll probably catch it.

I thought John Noble's character was freakin' hilarious. I couldn't wait to hear what crazy crack came out of his mouth next!

I know what you mean by Anna Torv looking like someone else. I figured she was the poor man's Cate Blanchett.

I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll probably hit it up sometime this weekend.

I thought it was a fun show, although I suspect I will need to disengage my brain to enjoy it.

How exactly did the younger Bishop get away with assault (twice) scot free?

I didn't know about it until now...but if it is, as you say it is, another "ask more questions than you answer every week" kind of thing, eff that. I've put up with more than enough of it on Lost.

I didn't know about it until now...but if it is, as you say it is, another "ask more questions than you answer every week" kind of thing, eff that. I've put up with more than enough of it on Lost.

If the pilot is any indication, it seems like they've scaled it back a bit so it's not as much a serial drama as weekly episodes with an overarching plot, but it definitely comes through a bit since it seems to be his M.O.

I watched it. I've been excited about it all summer actually, and I was horribly disappointed. J.J. Abrams manages to create great show premises and then horribly run them into the ground. Lost was awesome in the beginning, and by mid-season 2 I found I was FORCING myself to hit "Play" for each new episode.

Fox also has a bad habit of bouncing shows around which kills them pretty quickly. I don't expect "Fringe" to make it to season 2.

Yeah seriously. That style of writing/direction was ok in the first season. But by season 2 it really went downhill and seemed they were just making crap up at that point. Like whatever came out their @ss.

Seemed like a revamped X-files to me. Some of it was good, but on the whole it was a bit disappointing. I've got it set up on the DVR, we'll give it another couple episodes before writing it off.

Back