designing my tippy dump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
I've got a second full-size keg that I intend to use as a MLT. I want to engineer it so I can dump out the spent grains, without standing on my head with a small scoop.

If I want to make it so it will tip and dump, do I place my pivot points at exactly half way up its height, or slightly below (to make it tip easier), or slightly above (to make it more stable)?

I would go with above midpoint. You dont want to accidentaly hit it while your mashing and dump it.

I would go above midpoint too. There is a picture on here somewhere of Brewpastor's when his tippy-dump went at the wrong time. Makes me sad just too think about it.

Edit: Found the thread. The picture is smaller than I remember.

Well you should be thinking of midpoint and then there is center of gravity (which is going to be below the midpoint of the keg during most mashes). I'd say put it below the midpoint, but make some other way to secure the keg while mashing, then release your securing device and it is then easy to tip.

I went a little unconventional with mine. It's just a hinged cradle into which I plan on bolting the bottom skirt of the keg in 4 places. Even when the keg is full of spent grain, it should be tipable without putting the pivot up any higher. I don't have the keg bolted in just yet so I haven't tried it out.

brewstandtippy.jpg

brewstandpaint3.jpg

One thing you might consider as well (I just haven't gotten around to it) is cutting off the top skirt of the keg on the side where the grain will pour out. That rolled lip is going to catch everything on the way out. I've seen people custom fit a piece of stainless that bridges between the opening and goes over the raised edge kind of like a spout/shoot, but it's more work than I can handle.

Back