American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this again on Monday, BIAB all grain and followed the recipe exactly and ended up at 1.066 OG. I pitched 2 packs of Nottingham directly into the fermenter and had many bubbles by Monday afternoon. Today (three days later) I go to check and no bubbles, took a gravity reading and was shocked to see it was at 1.018! I don't remember it fermenting out this fast the first time but hey I will take it. I will leave it sitting @ 64 for another few weeks to settle out before kegging.

I am happy to report that accidentally adding 16oz of maltodextrin instead of 8 did not ruin this beer at all. To complement the sweetness and body I added the extract of 3 vanilla beans to it and it is wonderful. I'm going to make it again and do a chocolate coffee porter. This is a great recipe, thanks! :mug:

So I didn't have any of the roasted barley on hand so I threw in 4oz of crystal 120 instead.
Curious to see how this turns out.

Ok I have it in the tun as we speak with a couple differences. Had to use the instant oats for a sub and used magnum as the 60 minute bitter. I think its gonna turn out nonetheless but either way I'll drink it.

Beer sounds like its a solid recipe. Nice to see the pics on this. Definitely will be brewing this.

took a reading after 5 days and it was at 1.015 and very tasty.. i will keep on yeast for another week and rack into secondary.
thanks for the awesome reciepe

Just brewed this yesterday as a my first all grain! Hit my numbers pretty much perfectly. Fermenting away now after ~18 hours - keeping an eye on it to switch to blow off if needed. Samples tasted great (first runnings w/ a little rum was pretty good).

Brewed this up last week after about 6 mos off the brewing game. Last two brews picked up some terrible off flavors, so I finally had the time to sani-bomb my equipment.

Anyways, after 7 days on 05 (didn't have nottingham handy) it's at 1.12 and has oddly been the quietest ferment I've ever seen. Maybe an inch of krausen on the bucket, and a few clumps on the surface. Bubbler saw slow and steady action. Tastes great. Can't wait to bottle next weekend.

Nottingham ain't anything to f around with. Woke up to a blown-off blow-off tube and krausen everywhere. Cleaned it up but sounds like it will happen again today at work.... Going nuts in there

Its been about 5 weeks since I brewed this, came in at 6.3% (1.066OG, 1.018FG) and has been on the gas for two weeks. Just took a taste and its great, even better than last time I brewed it! Now I have to manage to not drink a ton of it before the weekend, have promised it to friends at a party on Saturday.

Bottled this last night - tasty! NIce and roasted, but not overly bitter or sweet.

I did forget the maltodextrin - despite a midnight bike ride to the grocery store, and their mangers urging me to use splenda. No thanks. Used 8 oz of flaked oats instead for some head retention and mouthfeel. I think it worked well... no excess sweetness, had that luxurious porter texture.

Bee Cave - yer brilliant!

I've brewed this beer probably 6 times and it always comes out great! Brewed again today at my wife's urging for "that delicious dark beer"!
Nottingham, s04, and conan are all great with this recipe. I've also used all sorts of different hops with good success including summit, centennial, cascade, crystal, and finally apollo today.
I've added the malto at 15mins, flame out, and once not at all, always with good success.

Can't go wrong with this beer, it makes all the commercial porters taste thin and one dimensional! I'm ruined!

I brewed 9 gallons of this on Monday but am concerned that I am running into fermentation issues. I split the batch into two fermenters, 1 6 gallon carboy and 1 6.5 gallon bucket.

I rehydrated 1 packet of nottingham per fermenter. I also had these fermenters in a chest freezer at 65 degrees.

The bucket was bubbling away within 24 hours and is now into a pretty strong fermentation. The Carboy on the other hand didn't do a whole lot of bubbling. I did see krausen form but as of this morning (50 hours or so into fermentation) it is all gone. I have shaken the carboy a few times to try and get the yeast going again but it hasn't seemed to do anything. I also pulled the carboy out of the freezer to raise the wort temperature a bit.

I may have a bit less wort in the carboy therefore I was wondering if there is just more room for the co2 thus it didn't bubble as much? That doesn't explain why the bucket is still going strong because I would have a hard time believing the carboy fermentation is complete.

Is there a possibility I just got some bad yeast? Both packets had the same expiration date. Any other possible issues?

How long should I wait to take a gravity reading on the wort in the carboy? I'm heading out of town next Week...will it hurt to leave it until then?

I brewed this as a partial mash BIAB and got an OG of 1.070, pitched S-04 and let it sit 3 weeks in primary at 64-67 degrees. FG was very high at 1.028, so either I didn't aerate enough (doubtful) or maybe the OG was too high for S-04? Not sure, but I'll use Notty next time.

I went ahead and bottled it since it still tasted pretty good if a bit sweet.

I brewed this Friday night with the only difference being that I added .5oz of cascade at flame out. I just couldn't see keeping a half ounce in my freezer for an unforeseen amount of time. I ended up with a good bit too much volume though as I have with the past few brews (I really need beersmith). I got 77% efficiency on about 8 gallons collected. FG was 1.077. The lid on my bucket is domed up. Luckily it hasn't exploded. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

DME and Malto Dextrin have nothing to do with each other. Malto Dextrin is used to add body and that is about it. So I would still use 8 oz of the malto dextrin even though you've replaced DME with some grains.

Edit: Just saw your doing 11 gallons. Yes you could go up to 1lb of Malto Dextrin which is what I plan on doing this weekend.

Edwort,
I should have taken your "active fermentation" warning more seriously.
I brewed your Robust Porter yesterday, today just as I returned home from work I heard a loud bump somewhere in my house. My wife thought I had fallen, but no.
The lid blew off my fermenter, what a mess. This is first time this has happend with my 8 gal primary bucket.

BEER 2.jpg

kicking my self right now.. i bottled over a month ago and i have some bad off flavor.. thats the second time i have brewed with my well water and the last ... still good for me to drink .. in a way

I'm going to give this recipe a shot this weekend as my first all grain brew. How can I tell if I should do a 60 or 90 minute boil? I'm doing a 5 gal batch on my gas stove (big pot fits on 2 burners).

Any advice is appreciated- thanks!

Brewed this back in March and I'm drinking my last one right now. It's the perfect Porter. Just wanted to say thanks to Edwort. I'll be brewing this again later this month, I'm a little disappointed I didn't brew it sooner since I'm out now.

To viachicago, i don't see a reason for a 90 minute boil. The hops only need 60 minutes; unless you are worried about DMS? 60 minutes worked great for me.

I brewed a 11.5 gallon partial mash of this porter on 8-13-2013 had it in the kegs on 8-25-2013 a very nice porter indeed

I am working on the last keg and it is almost gone

I will be doing an all grain brew of this one again real soon thanks for a great recipe

nice easier drinker with an outstanding taste

All the best

S_M

resized porter 1.jpg

Edwort,
I should have taken your "active fermentation" warning more seriously.
I brewed your Robust Porter yesterday, today just as I returned home from work I heard a loud bump somewhere in my house. My wife thought I had fallen, but no.
The lid blew off my fermenter, what a mess. This is first time this has happend with my 8 gal primary bucket.

What temp did you get the explosion at? I have brewed this a few times, always keep it in the low 60's the first few days and have managed to keep it under control. Have a batch I brewed yesterday going ape**** right now, hoping today is not the day I get actual blowoff!

What temp did you get the explosion at? I have brewed this a few times, always keep it in the low 60's the first few days and have managed to keep it under control. Have a batch I brewed yesterday going ape**** right now, hoping today is not the day I get actual blowoff!

I've got mine in the mid 60s now and to say it's an overly active fermentation is like saying a Ferrari is a little pricey. Holy crap is this thing going. I've had some active fermentations in the past, but nothing like this. I've got the blowoff tube in there, which is already full of krausen, and I have a big towel wrapped around everything, just in case she blows. I think the good thing is right now, it's off gassing so hard, it would be tough for anything to get stuck in the tube.

Just brewed this today.. Fall is happening here in Idaho and Looking forward to a Good Porter for the season!

Without reading thru 48 pages is everyone using recipe from page 1?
Just got 20 gal kettle from SWMBO think this might be a good one to try.

Without reading thru 48 pages is everyone using recipe from page 1?
Just got 20 gal kettle from SWMBO think this might be a good one to try.

I did but I did a partial mash with half the base malt replaced with DME

I was sad to see the second keg kick :( so I am going to brew this again on Tuesday

but do it all grain this time, I found this to be a great drinking porter

all the best

S_M

Holy Blowoff tube Batman!! No kidding. I read the replies and have it in a Gallon jug now. Thank goodness for temp control too. Don't even want to think of what would happen without it.

Brewing this tonight (as we speak) as my first AG. I cut the 5.5g recipe in half (for 2.75g) because this is my first all grain, and although it gets great reviews, I have little confidence in my AG ability. Used a Rubbermaid mashtun that I configured with the help of this forum. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Brewed this onec already, with some coffee and chcolate added, it has been my best beer to date.

Looking forward to brewing this again when I get back home. Hope to have my ferm chamber built by then as well.

Tim

Brewed this 2.5 weeks ago. I was planning to bottle it this weekend, but the airlock is still fairly active. Surprising, everything else I've brewed with Notty has gone fast, but I did keep the temperature way down this time the first week due to previous Notty explosions.

Back