made too strong of beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
I made a beer that is way to strong . Does any i deas what to do with it? I have 5 gallons of it in a corny keg . It is way to bitter and alcoholic , somewhere in the 150 ibus and 9.5%abv . I was thinking of mixing it with some upcoming beers . Idk all ideas and sugestions would be appreciated :drunk:.

150 ibus? how? lol. thats crazysauce. Anyways If you can spare the keg let it sit at room temp (65-70 deg). for a few years then give it a shot. The alcohol will mellow, and the bitterness will subside a bit. You could always bottle it, throw it in your basement and forget about it too.

6oz hops threw 90 min boil
90 min centennial
75 cent
60 cent
45 cent
30 cent
15 cent

4oz carafa 2
4oz chocolate malt
1lb caramel/crystal-150l
1.5lb honey
14lbs palemalt 2 row
.25lb dme light

I'd say just leave it alone in a cool, dark place for a good year or two. I certainly wouldn't water it down. Just let it age, mellow, and merge. It'll probably bittertasty.

with a 9.5 abv and all those hops you just made an american barley wine, and you could easily age it at least 6 months. after that time, the hops will fade and marry, and the alcohol should smooth, though it will probably always be a "sipperwarmer". Nothing wrong with that, but it also might be more appropriate in bottles.

can i use a counter pressure bottle filler? instead of using yeast and sugar?

Back