Carbonation Tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamilton

Reaction score
I need your opinions here guys.

I have tried numerous things when it has come to bottling. I have done the oh-so-loved bottling bucket and crossed my fingers I'd be satisfied with the carbonation. I've done the keg approach where I hooked up a racking cane to the picnic tap and hoped that there wouldn't be any contamination or major foamage leaving huge head space. And recent I just bought those little sugar carbonation tablets where you can put anywhere from 3-5 in depending on how carbonated you want your beer.

Now my question:

What have your best results been with (which method)? Please, no beer gun comments as I am not going to buy one.

You talking about filling bottles from a keg? If so, turn the pressure down to2-3 psi and fill the growler with a 12inch piece of tubing inserted into the picnic tap. Fill the growler until beer (not foam) reaches the top of the growler, then cap.

Carbonation drops will not work for this unless,you have time to spare.

I have had pretty good luck with Cooper's Carbination Drops. I have bottled two batches of ale with them, in both 12oz (one drop), and 22oz (two drops). I let them sit two weeks around 68-70 degrees. If your looking for specific carbination volume, it might not be the best. The all of the ales I bottled turned out nice and lively. Hope it helps.

no i have some other tablets where you put anywhere from 2-5 in depending on level or carb desired.

I'm going to try this though. Tell me what you all think.

I want to keg some and I want to bottle some. So I am going to siphon everything into the keg after conditioning. Then I am going to hook up the CO2, burp it a little, and turn it down to two psi right away. THEN, i am going to hook it up with the cane --> picnic tap --> SLOWLY fill bottles with uncarbed. Drop tabs...

I think I've thought everything through. Did i miss anything?

I keg the batch and let it all carb up. Then follow the "we don't need no stinking beer gun" thread. Hasn't let me down for years and dozens of batches.

Back