Carbonation - Need to chill to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Brewed Bee Cave Hefeweizen back in November......I let it bottle condition for 3 weeks.....and last week put 1 beer in fridge and let it set there for 1 week.

Drank it yesterday.,.....and it is excellent...well carbonated and tastes great.

Question is do I need to let beer set in fridge for several days to chill and allow any co2 in airspace to enter solution....or is over-nite ok?

I always wait about 5-7 days....I think cause I read somewhere you need to let it set cold for co2 to enter beer solution fully......

Dying to drink some today! :D

At least 5-7 days to get decent head & carbonation. Geting co2 into solution isn't a quick process. 2 weeks will give thicker head & longer lasting carbonation,from my observations thus far.

Can you put them in the fridge for 2 weeks to chill carbonate and then remove them to drink at a later date?

Can you put them in the fridge for 2 weeks to chill carbonate and then remove them to drink at a later date?

You carbonate at 70F for 3+ weeks THEN you chill to get it into solution. If you remove the beer from the fridge, you'll need to chill again for the same amount of time in order for the CO2 to get back into solution.

I thought he meant was it ok to leave them in the fridge after the period of getting co2 into solution. Co2 is built up in the head space mostly during room carb & condition time. Fridge time gets it into solution better. It also improves head.

Yes....was wondering what a good timeframe is for getting c02 into solution in fridge....sounds like need to let set in fridge for a week min?

Thanks guys...confirmed my thought

Yes,3-4 weeks at room temp,then 1-2 weeks fridge time. At two weeks,head is thicker,& carbonation lasts longer.

Back