120v/2000w & 240v/5500w together in keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin

Reaction score
I'm starting my control box build & plan to have both 120v & 220v control systems in it. Can I run both at the same time in a keggle for 7500w or is there a reason this should not be done?

He might be making larger batches than you.

As for the original question: yes, you can do this. You just need a separate SSR for the 120v element and a separate power cord out to the kettle.

I boil 13 gallons with a target of just above 10 into the fermentor and I'm pulling about 20-24 amps. I also turn on my BK element on as soon as it's covered. I would say 15-20 minutes from the time I'm done sparging. The temp ramp is from 170-207 degrees to boil.

Every rig is unique. My only recommendation is if you are boiling indoors or in the basement like I do, consider good ventilation.

Just to be clear, 120v is not split off the 240v, I'm planing to run 2 cords to the wall, one for 120v/20a & the other for 240v/30a. Two complete & individual control systems sharing a common box & able to brew as 4 systems:

3g/120v/2000w (240v not available)
5g/240v/5500w
3g & 5g same time
keggle with both elements

Maybe a stoopid question but I can't remember seeing 120v & 240v in the same BK.

It's totally doable but in my opinion it's extra hardware including SSR's and temp controllers to run two separate elements. If 8 gallon is the most you're boiling you don't need two elements.

The 120v system is for brewing in my apartment where 240v is not available. I already have the PIDs, kettles, elements, SSRs for both systems. If 7500w is available why not use it.

I've been lurking around here for a while so...Um... yeah...Some people might say I've got a plan. I have 20qt., 36qt. kettles & a converted keg. Planing to solder fittings in like in the SS sticky at the top of the DIY page. The two small kettles will be for BIAB, The keggle will be AG with a cooler MT for now & BIAB when I get a basket. The 120v/20qt is coming together, the others will be completed as $$ allow. The end goal is a recirculating, portable & consistent system capable of 5 capacities, (3g,5g,8g,10g &13g).

Back