making wine sweeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramps

Reaction score
Ok...this may seem like a stupid question but here goes! If after you have stopped the fermentation process say putting in the fridge for a few days and killing the yeast, if you add more sugar to sweeten will the yeast do a number on your stomach if you drink it or make you sick?

No, but they might do a number on your wine and blow some bottles. Don't worry about getting sick unless you drink too much. Bottles will blow, though!

No, but they might do a number on your wine and blow some bottles. Don't worry about getting sick unless you drink too much. Bottles will blow, though!

Right. If you ever take it out of the fridge, it'll start fermenting again. Refrigerating yeast doesn't kill it at all. In fact, I store all of my yeast in the fridge to keep it fresher longer.

If you're not stabilizing with sorbate and sulfites, and sweetening it, unless you're over 18% ABV or so, your bottles will blow up.

Thanks for the tip. would making a wine spritzer say with Sprite be a drinkable wine?

Thanks for the tip. would making a wine spritzer say with Sprite be a drinkable wine?

It depends on your taste! I wouldn't touch a wine spritzer, but I also wouldn't drink a cold wine, or a sweet one, because I like big dry table wines.

Many people would drink a spritzer, and really enjoy it, though. That seems like it would give you a "wine cooler" type of drink.

Thanks Yooper for the information. I am basically thinking of ways for the wife and her friends to enjoy. Cheers

I find partially finished wines in my fridge from time to time and I'll either use the remainder for cooking or make a spritzer with 7-up or ginger ale. The soda masks the oxidation. It's good - go for it.

The spanish often drink wine with 7up at dinner time, the kids get a more dilute version.
Mind you, they eat dinner at 10pm, that might be why, and their version of 7up might be a bit less sweet. Soda with wine is ok, but not coke.

My parents aren't big drinkers, and they both have a glass of red wine with Sprite Zero before bedtime. I've tried it and it's not bad. Also my grandmother used to make a non-alcoholic grape juice that was as dry & tart as any wine you've ever had, but it was delicious with a shot of ginger ale in it. I haven't tried wine with ginger ale, but based on her juice it's probably not that bad.

gramps,

Why not just make one of the flavored wine kits that are readily available. Island Mist or Orchard Breezin are 2 of them.

Wildberry Shiraz and Peach Chardonnay have made lots of non-wine drinkers change their minds!

Back