Any bicycle riders out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did the craigslist route after riding a hybrid bike for a year. I got an old fixed up bianchi for 200 bucks and it was worth it. riding is a lot more enjoyable and its fun to tinker around with as well.

Jason,
sorry I've missed this thread the past couple of days.
+ 1 on the Craig's list search. I bought my first road bike on Craig's list for a fraction of the price. Some sellers are even willing to ship for ~$50.
If I were looking for a bike that I could take both on trail and ride with the Mrs., I'd look for a hard tail mtn bike in good shape. buy another set of rims to fit the bike from a local LBS; one set of rims for off trail tires and another with traction tires.
It's not the best solution, but without getting off your wallet to the tune of several thousand dollars, it's an economical solution.

FWIW, there's nothing quite like dropping into a downhill ride on a road bike where the road is surrounded by trees and all else is quiet. The bike accelerates from 20 to 55 mph in a manner of seconds, and the only noise you hear is the increased airflow around your helmet. The silence is both deafening and exhilarating.

I wish you well on your choice.:mug:

it's cool to read that a lot of people ride bikes on this forum.

didn't own a car last year and currently have 8 bicycles..
road - 06 lemond croix de fer /// 60's peugot 10sp
mountain - Giant Trance X3 /// GT hardtail 3x traingle
cross/commuter - 08 IRO rob roy fixed/single
commuter/polo bike - 07 windsor hour, mix matched parts
bmx - 99 Standard STA500 /// 94 gt robinson racing

i almost love brewing as much as bicycling :)

I love to bicycle...

Snapped my chain today about 6 miles from home. Thank God we have a GPS in the car so that my wife could get to me and bring me enough tools that I could jerry rig my chain so that I could ride it home.

I have had my bike about 3 weeks, and have put over 100 miles on it.

You guys should ride RAGBRAI. It left from Council Bluffs this year. It is said to be the biggest, longest running bicycle ride. This was year 37, with over 10.000 riders registered. At least that is what I was told.
I spent 12 hours on the grounds yesterday at the EMS tent and on the Gator helping injured. Another 12 today filling in on a truck so others could work the field.

Huge event, a major blast across the state of Iowa.

http://ragbrai.com/

Anyone out there recommend a NICE mountain bike that is reasonably priced? Or recommend a place to find used bicycles? Mine is not a super high quality bike, but I have the bug and I love to ride... getting more serious about it.

It was the same with brewing, my first system was so-so... then I found I really enjoyed it and built my current rig.

I want a more serious bike, but I do not want to spend $1000

I have seen some Treks for 400-500, are they THAT much better than a $100 bike from Target?

I haven't been riding consistently lately. However, in 2003 I did a 1500 mile ride from Boston to Jacksonville Florida with two friends. I organized the ride and did 15 straight days of centuries and raised $13,000 for cancer research. Amazing trip!

I ride a 2002 Giant OCR Elite 1 and also have an old inexpensive Mongoose mountain bike.

So I go to get a new chain today, and I start looking at the Trek and the Gary Fisher bikes. I really fell in love the GF Tarpon on the floor... it was marked down to $325 from nearly $400.

Are these bikes worth it? I really want to get more serious about my biking. I am sure the dude at the shop would say yes, otherwise he cannot sell anything. So, what say you?

Gary Fisher Tarpon - a1cyclery.com

IMHO the bike is worth what you get out of it. I have thousands of dollars tied up in my bikes and find (typically) the more you pay the better quality you are going to get. Especially true if the bike comes with better components. Nothing is worse than going for a ride on a bike that doesn’t shift or brake correctly.

So I go to get a new chain today, and I start looking at the Trek and the Gary Fisher bikes. I really fell in love the GF Tarpon on the floor... it was marked down to $325 from nearly $400.

Are these bikes worth it? I really want to get more serious about my biking. I am sure the dude at the shop would say yes, otherwise he cannot sell anything. So, what say you?

Gary Fisher Tarpon - a1cyclery.com

mtbr.com has a pretty extensive list of reviews for mountain bikes.

I personally love Gary Fisher Bikes, I have an 08 HiFi Deluxe and was well worth its price tag. That bike is a pretty vanilla entry level bike, not to say it isn't a good bike but, you will notice a difference between that bike and some lead sled from wally mart. It will be a much more enjoyable ride to say the least. It'll give you a chance to evaluate if mtb'ing is something you want to pursue.

The important thing is make sure you talk to some one who is knows how to fit a bike! if you get a cheap bike it may be due to the fact it is a small frame and they can't get rid of it. Too big or small will make for a miserable ride.
I live in roadie central and had a hard time getting fitted for a mtb. ended up driving up to atlanta from Melbourne Fl to get the price I wanted and fitted properly.

If you can be patient, between october and january, bike shops will start cutting prices on that years models to make room for next years.

Also, people have a pref of one brand over another, GF, Trek, Kona, Gt, etc etc.. they are all great bikes if you get it from a reputable dealer. The best bike is the one you happen to be saddled on so go out and get an epic ride on :) edit- Crap! how could I forget Specialized!

mtbr.com has a pretty extensive list of reviews for mountain bikes.

I personally love Gary Fisher Bikes, I have an 08 HiFi Deluxe and was well worth its price tag. That bike is a pretty vanilla entry level bike, not to say it isn't a good bike but, you will notice a difference between that bike and some lead sled from wally mart. It will be a much more enjoyable ride to say the least. It'll give you a chance to evaluate if mtb'ing is something you want to pursue.

The important thing is make sure you talk to some one who is knows how to fit a bike! if you get a cheap bike it may be due to the fact it is a small frame and they can't get rid of it. Too big or small will make for a miserable ride.
I live in roadie central and had a hard time getting fitted for a mtb. ended up driving up to atlanta from Melbourne Fl to get the price I wanted and fitted properly.

If you can be patient, between october and january, bike shops will start cutting prices on that years models to make room for next years.

Also, people have a pref of one brand over another, GF, Trek, Kona, Gt, etc etc.. they are all great bikes if you get it from a reputable dealer. The best bike is the one you happen to be saddled on so go out and get an epic ride on :) edit- Crap! how could I forget Specialized!

This is all good info. I mean, I dont need some competition level bike, just trying to evaluate if getting a GF would be beneficial for an avid rider, not competing.

This shop here in town is pretty serious, everyone there seems ultra knowlegeable and they come highly recomended. I got most of those recomendation while I was limping my busted mtb home the other day after snapping a chain.

I wouldnt be buying til August or Sept. I think... so I am trying to get some solid info, to see if it is worh my investment. I have never ridden a GF, so I really do not know what they are like.

pic of what 2k will get yah.
S5031857.jpg

edit- Crap! how could I forget Specialized!

And Cannondale. ;)

I agree with everything Code wrote.

I have no preference of bike I have owned Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Motobecane, Diamondback, and Gary Fischer bikes and loved them all for various reasons. The best bike is the one that fits you and you get out and enjoy.

If I could figure out how to afford a Santa Cruz Blur LT I would be a happy man (the $4k price tag is more than even a bike lover like me can swallow though)

So I go to MTBr.com and see BikesDirect.com and start looking there.

Bikes, I have never heard of... but with some really great reviews... anyone with any knowlege of BikeDirect? Motobecane bikes?

yeah, it's not the same motobecane from years back. I looked at them a while ago and wasn't really impressed. TBH, if you can swing a good deal at the LBS and they are good folks do it. It's nice to develop a relationship with them. Oh lets say you bend a dérailleur hanger the day before you leave for santos and you call them up and the hold the store open of an extra half hour for a $15 piece of metal. :D

That and if you mail order a bike like that you will have to put it together. it isn't rocket science but, you need to know what you're doing to get everything tuned up real nice. Odds are, you will have to take it the the LBS to ask them assemble it for a fee. Ackward situation to say the least.

As for the feel of a brand of bike, they vary from model to model. Geometry of the bike is important to the kind of riding you want to do. A really raked out front fork is good for descending, steeper head angles are nimble but more prone to chucking you over the bars when descending, however they can climb like a goat. and that is just one of the many geometry variables.

All the more reason to work with the LBS and find out what kind of trails are available locally. Cross country trails are available just every where. Probably would be a good place to start. But do what you find interesting. Like I said before though, don't worry about it too much, ride what you can afford.

Also, if you have a 300-400 budget you are better off looking for a used bike on CL. Can get more bike for your money that way.

Edit- I know I am kind of all over the place with this, been up for about 36hrs. The noodle is a little frayed.

I currently have a Motobecane road bike and love it. The bike is very well built and the components are the same you would get anywhere else. However, I have been riding a long time and know the geometry I was looking for and was sure the bike would fit me and my riding style.

I would also recommend going to a local shop (with good staff) and have them help you find the correct bike for you. It makes a world of difference.

I currently have a Motobecane road bike and love it. The bike is very well built and the components are the same you would get anywhere else. However, I have been riding a long time and know the geometry I was looking for and was sure the bike would fit me and my riding style.

I would also recommend going to a local shop (with good staff) and have them help you find the correct bike for you. It makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the tips guys... I was thinking the same thing, I do want to develop a relationship with a local dealer, especially a good one. It is nice to have someone to help mentor you as you delve into a new hobby.

They have some sweet bikes, and I have been looking over CL in my area, but the bikes are crap :(

I have said this before (maybe even in this thread) but check craigslist for deals on used bikes. Its tough to find a deal in DC since there are so many bikes coming and going, and so many riders vying for the same deal. I have been able to find a couple good deals though because I am freakishly tall, and 60cm bikes dont move that fast. I picked up a nice old steel Batavus frame for $5 :D

Just passed ride number 100 for the year. Mostly road though.

bikesdirect from my experience and others have probably the best quality for the cheapest price of new in box bicycles. you wont get the care/tune-ups as you would if you purchased at your LBS.

but when friends ask where to find a good bike for cheap, i'll tell them bikesdirect.
motobecane and other online brand bikes are really the same bikes but re-branded.. so going by brand isn't really too credible anymore. look for the materials that are put into a bike
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Mattdacat33/Picture5.png

Lucky enough to live in a town where I can ride everywhere, except the lumber yard...

I just found a 1960 Western Flyer with an original working light. Gonna fix that up as my cruiser. Pics to come!

Two-wheel human-powered keezer?!...

It may already be posted in this thread, but I didn't see it in my quick peruse so I thought I would post the link below. This is a newly created cycling forum. It has been linked to on HBT in other places, but just in case anybody missed it I thought I would post the link here. Come by and check out TwoSpoke.

http://www.twospoke.com

Thought I'd bump this thread, since I'm finally getting off my hump and researching bikes again. After a lot of consideration, I reevaluated what I wanted out of a bike - something to keep the legs moving in the off-season for general fitness and a commuter. A friend of mine who does a lot of cycling suggested a hybrid since I have 10-20 mile road loops in mind for my training rides, and it keeps extra equipment (i.e road bikes shoes) to a minimum. Perhaps at some stage, I'll look for a more serious road bike. :D

This one keeps catching my eye.

I'm getting ready to sell my 2nd car, and go full bike! I've been looking around for a better commuter than what I have currently. My current ride is a Gary Fisher Aquila hardtail MTB from 1996. I've put Specialized Nimbus road tires on it, and fenders but it just doesn't quite roll as smooth as a purpose-built road bike. Any recommendations for a road-inspired commuter bike?

Here's what's on my list so far:

1. Trek Soho (belt drive, nexus internal hub 8 speed shifter, roller brakes, 700c wheels, sexy) $1,150
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho
treksoho.jpg

2. Gary Fisher Mendota (normal derailleurs, disc brakes, aluminum frame, 700c wheels) $1,150
Mendota | Gary Fisher Bicycles
mendota.jpg

3. Specialized Sirrus Comp: $1,000
Specialized Bicycle Components : Sirrus Comp

SR_Comp_GL_Blk_w_Red_d.jpg

Thought I'd bump this thread, since I'm finally getting off my hump and researching bikes again. After a lot of consideration, I reevaluated what I wanted out of a bike - something to keep the legs moving in the off-season for general fitness and a commuter. A friend of mine who does a lot of cycling suggested a hybrid since I have 10-20 mile road loops in mind for my training rides, and it keeps extra equipment (i.e road bikes shoes) to a minimum. Perhaps at some stage, I'll look for a more serious road bike. :D

This one keeps catching my eye.
Jason, while the shocks on the seat post and the front fork may provide comfort, I don't think I'd want them on a training bike. You lose some energy to the back tire from shock absorption.

Check this out. This might be more than you're looking for, but you'll be much happier with it or something similar on 20+ mile training rides.

You don't need anything fancy, but you're too young to go all granny suspension on us.:D

Jason, while the shocks on the seat post and the front fork may provide comfort, I don't think I'd want them on a training bike. You lose some energy to the back tire from shock absorption.

Check this out. This might be more than you're looking for, but you'll be much happier with it or something similar on 20+ mile training rides.

You don't need anything fancy, but you're too young to go all granny suspension on us.:D

I would not bother with any suspension on a road bike. If you are in good enough shape to ride 20 miles, that stuff is just gonna slow you down. Look into one of the flat bar 'city bikes' if you don't wanna go the 'full team kit/drop bar/race bike' route. That Trek linked above is nice, but there are lots of off brand bikes that are comparable and much cheaper.

Thanks for pointing out the Trek, John! I found a local dealer with a number of Trek models in stock, think I'll head over later today and check them out. The 7000 is right in my price range, too.

You're welcome. The above poster is correct. There are some other brands of "city bikes" available which are less expensive. The trek was the first that came up in a google search. I'd make sure I got quality components; shifters, brakes, rims, etc....before I purchased strictly on brand name.
I bought my first road bike off of e-bay for very little money and put another 5+K miles on it. craig's list or ebay may be an option on a budget.
Good luck and happy shopping.:mug:

Back