For the Ultimate penny pincher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Quick efficiency tip i just picked up. If youre looking to save as much money as possible, and youre a bottler, this may help a bit. I open almost all my bottles with lighters, don't know why, it's just a habit now. I realized that when I used a lighter, the cap came off without any bends, it looked perfect. So I took an empty bottle filled it with water and capped her with one of the lighter caps. Works like a charm no leaking whatsoever. Maybe this can help some of us with tight pockets. I know it's very cheap, but for me, part of the fun is getting my cost per bottle to a minimum.

I think I purchased 2 POUNDS of bottle caps, for like $2. It was ridiculously cheap.

Besides, I open mine with my wedding ring. I'm not giving up that cool factor to save $.004.

Erm, I would try this on one or two bottles while bottle conditioning before I did any sort of a large scale test. A bottle that's bottle conditioning is going to have more force exerted on the cap than an empty bottle. I think this is an instance where it's going to be worth spending the $.015/bottle.

I think I purchased 2 POUNDS of bottle caps, for like $2. It was ridiculously cheap.

Besides, I open mine with my wedding ring. I'm not giving up that cool factor to save $.004.

I used to do the same thing until I lost my ring cliff diving into the Colorado River. My new ring is more rounded and slips on half the caps.:(

That's why I keep mine safely stored in the night stand where I won't lose it.

I never thought about caps being much of a factor when it comes to the overall cost of a beer. I don't bottle that much, only if I fill the keg and still have some left over, lately I have been getting a 6 pack but still not work it.

All fine and dandy until you lose a couple bottles per batch because of a bad seal and you are in the red. Then you can start a thread about how your cheap ass cost yourself money. ;)

Quick efficiency tip i just picked up. If youre looking to save as much money as possible, and youre a bottler, this may help a bit. I open almost all my bottles with lighters, don't know why, it's just a habit now. I realized that when I used a lighter, the cap came off without any bends, it looked perfect. So I took an empty bottle filled it with water and capped her with one of the lighter caps. Works like a charm no leaking whatsoever. Maybe this can help some of us with tight pockets. I know it's very cheap, but for me, part of the fun is getting my cost per bottle to a minimum.

Yeah, and when you keep your lighters even after they run out of gas, you never have to buy costly bottle openers anymore.

This is too much. Alot of people have wondered if they can re-use caps at some point. I feel guilty throwing them in the trash and wonder if there's a way to recycle them.

If you reuse your caps, that's x amount of pounds that doesn't wind up in the landfill, and x amount of pounds that do not need to be mined from the earth and x amount of gallons that are needed to transport the caps from the factory to the wholesaler to the distributor.

If not for the sake of frugality, then for the sake of the environment!

i admit i have done this , its kinda funny if you recap a commercial beer with its original cap and slip it into a sixer and see if anyone notices.

p.s. they know when its water ... so bmc must have something in it.:D

My BIL made a coffee table out of the caps that he saves from store bought beer. Ok the table wasn't want out of the bottle caps, but rather they were under glass that was the table. Wouldn't that be cool to make a table from welding tiny little bottle caps together. Man that would take some time and alot of caps and probably not work as Bobby_m will jump in and say at any time.

I keep a little bin of used bottle caps in my kitchen, just in case it comes to bottling day and I realize that I forgot to replenish my supply. However, I would not purposely re-use bottle caps on an entire batch of brew.

i admit i have done this , its kinda funny if you recap a commercial beer with its original cap and slip it into a sixer and see if anyone notices.

p.s. they know when its water ... so bmc must have something in it.:D

Yea, I do the same thing to my brother who is a Labatts drinker... he doesn't find it funny, but I do. With some food coloring, and a carbonator cap you can even make it look real. :)

That's why I keep mine safely stored in the night stand where I won't lose it.

Yeup. I DID the same. ...until two days ago when my 2 year old daughter ran off with it and I had to find it again. ...was in the bottom of a toy pram luckily, could have been anywhere.

and yes, just buy the good caps.

You know, if you don't bend the hell out of a cap, it should go on just as good as a fresh one from the bag. As long as it's clean and sanitized it should be fine.

I OFTEN recap a twist on to keep out the bugs and hold in the carb and prevent nasty spills from wasting my beer or pop. I would bet money that I could recap a twist top bottle and it would be just fine.

Back