Android/G1 Users out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
What do you think of OS, moving around the web and stuff like that? I trying to decide between an Android OS phone (hopefully more come out soon) and the iPhone. i'm able to play around with the iphone whenever i go into the mac store or at&t, but i was at a T-Mobile store last night and they are all non-functional.

so if you have a G1 or have used a friends, how do you think it compairs to the iphone?

i like the idea of that android is more open, but i dont know anyone who has one here in louisville (lack of 3G probably why).

I work for a company that writes applications for the Android, so we have a bunch of the phones around. They work, and people who carry them around like them. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Compared to the iPhone, there are minor pros and cons but overall you can do similar things. The iPhone has artificial limits placed there by the powers that be. The G1 is not quite as well integrated yet. I prefer the G1, but I'm a software developer so that may not mean much.

i think that means alot coming from a developer. i just wish i could play around with one for 10 minutes, haha.

hopefully t-mobile will get 3G here soon or more android phones come out in the next few months.

I just bought my G1 and love it. I think it is not as user friendly as the iPhone but if you are a gadget kind of person you should figure it out quickly. My only complaint is the battery life sucks but you can get extended life batteries. Not sure about the iphone battery. I do know if you have to get your iPhone battery replaced you have to send it in, thats kind of a bummer. "Having-A-Homebrew" you should make a brewing program since you are a developer. Or does anybody know of any out there for the Android platform?

wait for the magic before deciding on an android phone. and very shortly there are going to be several. i have played around with it but like apple they lock you into a store where you have to download the apps and install from there. for me i want full access so i use a wm phone. its not as slick as the iphone but it integrates seemlessly with my work desktop and home.

I'm thinking about getting the HTC Dream that Rogers here in Canada is now offering. I'm a developer as well (though for Windows) so I was considering a Windows Mobile phone, but I also like the fact that Android is so much more open.

I went to my local Rogers store to get a hands on look at the phone but they were inactive there too. Not sure what that's all about. :( I like the look of the phone and the feel of the keyboard but I'd like to actually play with the OS before I shell out that kind of money.

I have the G1 and it works great. The Gmail email, contacts, & calendar integrate seamlessly and you can have gmail pick up other email accounts. Texting is a snap as well as taking pictures and sending them via email or SMS.

Web access is great with 3G and navigation is similar to the iPhone or you use the little track ball. Keyboard is tactile and easy even with big fingers, but fingernail access works best.

If there is Wifi access, your browser is even faster.

I bought it for email access on the go and enjoy it. I have unlimited talking nation wide and unlimited data for about $75 a month on it do to a loyal customer program.

...I bought it for email access on the go and enjoy it. I have unlimited talking nation wide and unlimited data for about $75 a month on it do to a loyal customer program.
I wish we had stuff like that available up here. Don't get me started on cell phone plans in Canada. :mad:

Will definitely check out the emulator but it sounds like I'm getting one. The HTC Dream Rogers is selling comes with the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync option built in which is a bonus, I can connect it to my work server. May have to work out a deal with the boss man to discount my plan a bit. :D

My company gave me a G1 for xmas. I never put a SIM card in it, so I just use it as a wifi toy. I played with development on it a little, but I don't know java very well. Even so, the SDK is very good, and I really like the hardware, except for a few minor annoyances. Pesonally, Ill never buy a phone that doesn't have a tactile keyboard. HBT looks great and this reply was typed on my G1.

Back