2" x 2" x 1/16" mild steel for single-tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin_J

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a single-tier brutus-type stand, and I am wondering if 2" x 2" x 1/16" mild steel would be sufficient. Most of what I've seen has been 1/8" tubing, but that seems like overkill to me, especially since I'll probably be adding 2 vertical braces on both the front and the back of the stand to support the kettles. I've seen that Morebeer uses the 1/16" for their stands, but since I see so many recommendations for 1/8" here and so many people using it, I want to double check and get some additional opinions.

Also, I'd like to stay with 2" tubing because I have different types of keggles that are ~1" different in width, so the 2" tubing would give me some additional wiggle room for laying everything out on top.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I see no problem with the 1/16" at all. My single tier stand is made of 2x2 galvanized tube that is 16 gauge, which is just about 1/16". And, my system is one barrel capacity - twice the std. half barrel keg system with twice the weight. Believe me...that stuff is plenty strong. My company makes steel buildings and components (including this tube).

Anyway, I have paid for an upgraded account (last week), so as soon as I get confirmed as a premium member, I will be starting a thread on the system build, and will post pics. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Ok, so I guess I am a premium member now....so I am gonna start the build thread! WooHoo!

Cool, thanks a lot Sleepy. I know homebrewers have a tendency to over-engineer a bit (that's part of the fun :) ), but I figured I should just make sure so that I don't have 12 gallons of boiling wort collapse on me or something.

you'll be hard pressed to find 1/16 tubing that size, everything around here is 1/8. You'll probably pay a premium price for the thinner material. I say see what you can get locally and compare prices 2x2x 1/8 square tubing is a standard size and will probably be the least expensive option.

you'll be hard pressed to find 1/16 tubing that size, everything around here is 1/8. You'll probably pay a premium price for the thinner material. I say see what you can get locally and compare prices 2x2x 1/8 square tubing is a standard size and will probably be the least expensive option.

Thanks for the heads-up. I Checked with the local supplier, though, and 1/16" = $2.25/ft, 1/8" = $3.85/ft. Looks like I'll give the 1/16" a shot.:ban:

If your using tubing 1/16th is just fine. If using angle I would go to 1/8th and call it good. Tubing derives a great deal of it's strength from the 4 sides spreading the force over a larger surface area and can actually be much thinner because of that fact. 2X2X.065 will yeild way more than enough strength to meet your needs with a nice safety margin built in. Good luck and don't forget the pics too.
Wheelchair Bob

Nope I sure didnt, it came uo somehow on my current activity /new post pages. The info still applies, but is definately a moot point for the OP. Wasnt looking at the dates either.
WCB

Back