Beers in Cleveland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naiek

Reaction score
Wife is in Cleveland on business, offered to bring me back some beer. What are some "can't miss" beers that are available there that i should have her look for?
Looks like Bell's and Founders are there, anything else she should be on the look-out for?
Thanks

Anything by Great Lakes is pretty much a can't miss in my book. From Fathead's definitely look for some Headhunter - one of the best of the best IPAs. Same for White Rajah from the Brew Kettle. From Thirsty Dog I really like their porter and their imperial stout - Old Leghumper porter and Siberian Night imperial stout. Hoppin' frog - definitely the BORIS imperial stout.

I'd also recommend something from Indigo imp. The guy open ferments everything with some interesting results. It isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy the tartness in his beers. The blonde is excellently refreshing, the Belgian pale ale has some nice complexity as does the porter. Again, not a recommendation for everyone, but one that is off the beaten path.

She said she had a couple Great Lakes with dinner, Burning River and Commodore Perry, and liked them

Cleveland has a great beer scene. Most are not bottled though. Head Hunter is great and I think available at Heinen’s & Acme supermarkets.
If she's looking for brew pubs, that's a whole different thread. Lots of good choices.
Bull

Have her go down to west 25th and Lorain Ave. Its called Ohio City. They have Great Lakes, Beer Markt, and Market Garden breweries right there.

Also, the west side market just reopened (it caught on fire last week!) Have her get some sausages!

I also like Thirsty Dogs Cerberus,a belgian trippel style ale. They're over in Akron. Fat head's is over in North Olmstead. Good beer & food. My son loves it. And the huge amount of meats,sausages,including German at west side market. They also have a huge giro from I think it's called Steve's. It was featured on man vs food as well.

Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale is an awesome seasonal beer that's available now. I also went to a Great Lakes tasting event a few weeks ago, and they are getting ready to release a new beer in February called Alchemy Hour Double IPA, probably hands down the best IPA I've ever had (and a double at that). It was over 9% I think, but very smooth, balanced, and amazing hop flavor.

As mentioned, Fat Head's Headhunter IPA is a very good IPA too.

BTW...just saw unionrdr's comment about the West Side Market, unfortunately it is closed right now for several weeks due to a fire :( Cleanup crews are cleaning top to bottom...otherwise this would have been a great place to visit too while in town.

itzkramer - I just read that only the cafe is open, as well as the produce arcade: http://www.19actionnews.com/story/21055201/west-side-market-cafe-is-now-open or see here: http://www.westsidemarket.org/

Sweet, sent her a long list. She comes back tomorrow so hopefully she can get a hold of some of these

Steve and his gyros. That guy knows how to make a sammich.

Oh man. Good thing we don't live close to west side market. I'd be a lot heavier from his gyros & the German sausage from the other guy. Then head over to Great Lakes for some commador perry to wash it down.

Headhunter for sure.

Also founders breakfast stout or porter.

Edmund Fitzgerald is also a very solid porter but Id personally choose founders 9/10 times.

She could probably find some hopslam, but I'm personally not the biggest fan, many are though.

Back