PA licensing/sales/distribution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScotBrew

Reaction score
Just heard that the Governor is looking to change the rules on distribution of beer and liquor here in PA. Only a small number of stores like Wegmans and Whole Foods can actually sell beer next to groceries and it's not a lot at that.

It's been mentioned that beer distributors will be able to apply to sell liquor/wine also and that supermarkets will be able to sell beer in their stores also.

It's about time that PA came out of the prohibition era like all the other States!:drunk:

At least you can buy liquor in grocery stores. In NJ I think only 2 or 3 chain grocery stores have liquor or beer in them. Only 2 I've personally been to is Trader Joes in Lawrenceville and BJs in Maple Shade./

PA ABC laws are some of the worst in the country, good to hear things are changing.

My local Wegman's beer selection is great, good prices too. Big emphasis on local breweries, and special sections for east coast, west coast, Mexico, imports, gluten free, kosher, and cider.

Liquor in grocery stores? Not that I've seen!

Wegmans has been great to me. I love the international section where I can get some stuff from back home and also grab a couple of beers at the same time.

The Mrs. just found this: www.fooderybeer.com also! Can buy beers in singles, mix n match. I'm so excited cos THAT's how bad PA laws have been!

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
At least you can buy liquor in grocery stores. In NJ I think only 2 or 3 chain grocery stores have liquor or beer in them. Only 2 I've personally been to is Trader Joes in Lawrenceville and BJs in Maple Shade./

No we can't.

I recently bought craft beer in our local grocery store in Altoona Pa. Seriously too expensive - a six pack was $18. I did it once and never again.

There is a "State Store" (that's what we call liquor stores in PA) In a grocery store near me. It's a totally separate room that is run by the state LCB. It is staffed by state employees, as are all State stores here. The State stores can sell liquor and wine, but not beer. Beer distributors can sell beer, but not liquor or wine. They can also only sell in case or keg quantities, not in six packs or by the bottle. Bars and specialty stores can sell 6 packs and individual bottles, but you can't take more than 2 six packs out of a bar at one time. If you want more than two, you have to leave with two, them come back in for two more.

It's good the drinking age is 21, it takes that long to figure out the rules in PA.:cross:

Fleetwood eh? Hows the beer at the Kutztown Tavern these days, havent been there since graduation in 06

Hate to say it, but this stuff has been floated a number of times since the 90s and it never gets passed. I doubt a failing governer who has a lot of baggage from the past two years is going to be able to pull it off. Tom Ridge at the height of his popularity couldnt swing it.

Theres an unholy alliance between the public unions (employees at the state stores), the distributors (exclusive rights to sell beer in packages above 6 pack), bar owners (who can sell six packs at inflated prices due to the distributor system), and the religiously inclined at the center of the state who oppose any loosening of liquor and gambling laws. We didnt get Sunday sales until the 2000s and the wannabe Quakers raised hell about that.

Why would you want to buy liquor in a grocery store when you have Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville!

Just recently moved to NJ, after graduating from a school in PA and I've only ever purchase liquor in state stores. Wegman's in Allentown used to have some sort of wine bottle distribution machine but that was removed after a few months. PA is hands down the worse, its such a pain, having to go to potential 3 different stores: State Store: Wine and Liquor, Distributor: Cases/Kegs and Then if you don't want a whole case another store or bar to get 6 packs or bottles.

That being said there are some awesome distributors in PA, like Shangy's in Emmaus.

Fleetwood eh? Hows the beer at the Kutztown Tavern these days, havent been there since graduation in 06

Haven't been there in years myself. I usually go to Union Jacks, 500 beers and great food. Plus they save me all the cool bottles(Chimay, Kastel, ect.):rockin:

Why would you want to buy liquor in a grocery store when you have Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville!

JCs is nice, but I'd rather go to the one in Woodbridge since that's like 10 miles from my place instead of 30. I prefer the smaller liquor stores. The only thing JCs has over most other liquor stores is Growlers. There are 2 awesome liquor stores on 18 in East Brunswick, Wine World and Marketplace Wines and Spirits that have great selection. Much better than JCs for my money.

While there is no question that PA needs an overhaul in its liquor/beer laws, I'm not that optimistic that this proposal will fare any better than the ones that came before. To be sure, the people who set up the distribution model after prohibition ended did a spectacular job. This system ensures that the state employees will never go along with privatization (government benefits & job security will never be matched in the private arena,) distributors will never allow for an increase in carry-out limits and taverns will never want to share that cash cow that carry-out six packs provide. This always reminds me of 1984 and the continually shifting war between the three super-powers.

I'm just grateful that there are some carry-out places (Wegmans, and Local 44 Bottle Shop come to mind) that have a wide selection of beers to choose from and don't kill you (too much) on pricing.

JCs is nice, but I'd rather go to the one in Woodbridge since that's like 10 miles from my place instead of 30. I prefer the smaller liquor stores. The only thing JCs has over most other liquor stores is Growlers. There are 2 awesome liquor stores on 18 in East Brunswick, Wine World and Marketplace Wines and Spirits that have great selection. Much better than JCs for my money.

Thanks for the heads up, just moved to the area I'll have to check those places out.

Back