Amber Nugget Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S05 / S04
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nada
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.017/1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nope
Additional Fermentation
Nada
Tasting Notes
Hops hit you first, nice chewy body and caramel maltiness, great head: EXCELLENT!
See recipe notes at bottom for more info!

Amber Nugget
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/24/2010
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 1/2 barrel keggle and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 (Actual efficiency was 78%)

Water: Local spring water (properties unknown)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.64 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [11.20 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
2.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [11.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.55 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.80 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.96 %
Bitterness: 41.0 IBU Calories: 253 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb
Sparge Water: 0.44 gal Grain Temperature: 60.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 140.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min DoughIn Add 7.00 gal of water at 168.1 F 154.0 F
10 min BatchSparge1 Add 4.25 gal of water at 195.4 F 168.0 F
10 min BatchSparge2 Add 4.25 gal of water at 168.0 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 10.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 38.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

1.25 qt /lb strike water = 7 gal
.14 gal/lb grain absorption = 3 gal.
4.25 gal. sparge water 1, 4.25 gal. sparge water 2
Leaf hop absorption est: .33 qt per oz =2.31 qts (DID NOT FACTOR IN VOLUME)
=
Split into two glass carboys: one pitched with safale 04 and one pitched with safale 05

This started out as a "use-up-a-bunch-of-odds-and-ends-laying-around-the-brewery" type of recipe, but it turned out to be one of the BEST batches I have ever brewed, so I wanted to share! Nice big body, caramelly maltiness, and plenty of late hop presence to satisfy even a hophead. If you like this type of style, you will like this one! I split an 11 gallon batch into two carboys, pitching S04 in one and S05 in the other. Both were really good, however, if I had to choose, I would say I preferred the S05, with its more "American" style, hop forward, cleaner presence. That said, the 04 for was really nice too. It had more of yeast presence and slightly muted, more balanced hop presence. (reminds me somewhat of Great Lakes Burning River in terms of body, mouthfeel, and yeast presence, though this one is definitely more hop heavy)

Color and clarity were beautiful, Head retention / lacing were great.

Lots of late hops made for a great hop aroma and flavor, without being overly bitter. This is the first brew I have made with almost exclusively nugget hops - which I will DEFINITELY do again! They are quite underrated in my opinion now and go really well with this style. I would say this is not the beer for someone who isn't into hops. All hops were leaf, with Rager formula for IBU calculations.

The caramel / Munich malts come through clearly, with plenty of body and mouthfeel in this beer. The FG was somewhat higher than expected, but thankfully so, as I believe it was an important factor in the outcome. I believe that the lower attenuation was a factor of the stiffer mash (1.25 qts/lb vs. my standard 1.5 qts/lb) and the mash temp of 154. Although only a 5%ABV, this one drinks like a bigger beer.

All my knowledgeable, trusted beer drinking buddies have said they would absolutely buy this beer were it commercially available. This one is going into regular brewing rotation here.

If you have any questions or I can help you out, feel free to ask!

Brewers Update:

This has become my house ale. I have brewed over 75 gallons of this one in the past year, varying the base grains, hops, and yeasts each time to use what I have had on hand and it has always come out great.

Once, I used Nugget for bittering and then mostly homegrown cascade and some Willamette for the late additions. Really nice.
This batch won 3rd (And 1st and 2nd were a tie) in May 2011 at the Brew Grass Derby (a Youngstown, OH area tasting/comp.)

Last batch, which I am still drinking, I used nugget for bittering and most of the rest of the additions were a (new to me hop) Glacier. (with a little Perle and Challenger) I dryhopped this batch w/ about 5.5 oz of Glacier also. (25 gal batch) The base grains for this batch were about 51% Pilsner and 33% Vienna (No munich this time) REALLY love the tropical flavors that the Glacier gives. I get mango out of it, and a couple of buddies have said pineapple. I will probably always dryhop this recipe in the future.

I have used 04, 05, and Notty usually splitting batches with 2 different yeasts. It is a hard call which I prefer. The 05 was definitely the cleanest, most "American" flavor with hops taking the center stage and the 04 had the most british yeast influence. The Notty was somewhere between. All have tasted good.

Like I said, this has become a staple at my house - anyone who is into hoppy craft beer loves it, and at under 5% ABV it is VERY sessionable. If you like American pales or ambers, you should definitely like this one!

If you try it, let me know what you think!

I will be trying this one. Troegs Nugget Nectar is a favorite of mine, and this sounds very close by your description, although NN is bigger in ABV.

I think you will like it. Please report back if you you brew it!

I would say that this one is closer to Troegs Hopback Amber ale, but with a lot more hop flavor and aroma. (but not bitterness!) It is like a "session" amber that still satisfies my hop craving! I am hoping to have my hopback built (out of a 5 gal corny keg) by the next time I brew this!

sleepystevenson said:
See recipe notes at bottom for more info!

Amber Nugget
American Amber Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/24/2010
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: 1/2 barrel keggle and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 (Actual efficiency was 78%)

Water: Local spring water (properties unknown)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.64 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [11.20 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
2.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [11.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.55 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.80 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.96 %
Bitterness: 41.0 IBU Calories: 253 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb
Sparge Water: 0.44 gal Grain Temperature: 60.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 140.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min DoughIn Add 7.00 gal of water at 168.1 F 154.0 F
10 min BatchSparge1 Add 4.25 gal of water at 195.4 F 168.0 F
10 min BatchSparge2 Add 4.25 gal of water at 168.0 F 168.0 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 10.2 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 38.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

1.25 qt /lb strike water = 7 gal
.14 gal/lb grain absorption = 3 gal.
4.25 gal. sparge water 1, 4.25 gal. sparge water 2
Leaf hop absorption est: .33 qt per oz =2.31 qts (DID NOT FACTOR IN VOLUME)
=
Split into two glass carboys: one pitched with safale 04 and one pitched with safale 05

This started out as a "use-up-a-bunch-of-odds-and-ends-laying-around-the-brewery" type of recipe, but it turned out to be one of the BEST batches I have ever brewed, so I wanted to share! Nice big body, caramelly maltiness, and plenty of late hop presence to satisfy even a hophead. If you like this type of style, you will like this one! I split an 11 gallon batch into two carboys, pitching S04 in one and S05 in the other. Both were really good, however, if I had to choose, I would say I preferred the S05, with its more "American" style, hop forward, cleaner presence. That said, the 04 for was really nice too. It had more of yeast presence and slightly muted, more balanced hop presence. (reminds me somewhat of Great Lakes Burning River in terms of body, mouthfeel, and yeast presence, though this one is definitely more hop heavy)

Color and clarity were beautiful, Head retention / lacing were great.

Lots of late hops made for a great hop aroma and flavor, without being overly bitter. This is the first brew I have made with almost exclusively nugget hops - which I will DEFINITELY do again! They are quite underrated in my opinion now and go really well with this style. I would say this is not the beer for someone who isn't into hops. All hops were leaf, with Rager formula for IBU calculations.

The caramel / Munich malts come through clearly, with plenty of body and mouthfeel in this beer. The FG was somewhat higher than expected, but thankfully so, as I believe it was an important factor in the outcome. I believe that the lower attenuation was a factor of the stiffer mash (1.25 qts/lb vs. my standard 1.5 qts/lb) and the mash temp of 154. Although only a 5%ABV, this one drinks like a bigger beer.

All my knowledgeable, trusted beer drinking buddies have said they would absolutely buy this beer were it commercially available. This one is going into regular brewing rotation here.

If you have any questions or I can help you out, feel free to ask!

I just tapped this and love it. Making another batch tomorrow!!

Thanks

Scott

I think I might make a batch of this, with maybe a touch of variation in the hops. I have plenty of Nugget, but don't believe I have any Centennial in the freezer. Sounds like a winner.

Feel free to vary the hops however you like! I have been doing variations of this for a number of years now. Just about every one has been really, really good. I will try to post some more of the different variations I have made, but don't have my brew log here with me at work right now.

Just cracked a bottle of this and it turned out GREAT! Thanks for the recipe, one of the best brews I've made in my short time brewing.

Back