Gifted 20+ pounds of hops from neighbor I don't know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I was brewing in my front yard today and a neighbor came over and gave me a bunch of hops because he's moving. Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo etc. He also gave me a stir plate and 5 mature hop plants in 20 gallon containers, ready to harvest. I love my neighborhood in Portland!

Big congrats!! If my neighbor moved they would gift me some Keystone and a couple of broken lawn mowers.

Now get brewing....

The Amarillo are from 2009 but they are pellets in one pound bags that are vacuum sealed and nitrogen purged. Are they still good?

Yes. They are still good. The AA% will be slightly less, but if they were stored properly, it should be NBD. Smell 'em and see if they smell nice. If they're cheesy or musty, they ain't nice.

I wouldn't use old hops for bittering. Like Amanda said, they should be good as long as they smell good. Just vacuum sealing and purging with nitrogen wouldn't be enough. They should also be stored cold.

Back