Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Munich Type II. This go-around, I am doing the CYBI Dead Guy recipe from an interview with John M.

This will be my fourth Dead Guy batch. Can't wait to see what the results of the CYBI recipe are.

I just ordered Yooper's recipe off of brewmasterswarehouse which has Munich II in it. Are you changing recipes just to change things up?

Henry - the Can You Brew It guys interviewed John Maier, the brewmaster at Rogue.

The recipe is also posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-rogue-dead-guy-ale-175382/

Yoopers was my first DGA brew, then another clone, and last, the Brewcraft Kit. The CYBI recipe is the truest of Dead Guy recipes - direct from Rogue.

Yoopers clone is awesome; you won't be disappointed.

Brewed the undead guy yesterday, all grain using the beersmith recipe. Results were dead on with the recipe. Looking forward to this brew.

At one week primary at 64 degrees. My first brew in glass carboy. All others in plastic bucket.

deadguy1wk.jpg

I just kegged a batch of this about 10 minutes ago.

3.5 week primary. fermented at 64 degrees with US-05

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.014

Also, i cold steeped some columbian coffee and added 25 oz of the liquid at flame out.

Tasted incredible uncarbed and warm.. can't wait to try in a couple of weeks when it is carbed.

Thanks Yooper!

I used 5 tsp of ground columbian coffee beans for 25 oz. of water. Cold steeped for 24 hours in fridge. I think one or two more tsp wouldn't have hurt, but I didn't want to over do it.

I then filtered out the grounds with a coffee filter and added at flame out.

Also, I mashed at 152 so that it would get down to. 1.012 -1.014ish range... I think if it ended up in the 1.016 - 1.018 range it would have been to sweet.

Once it is carbed I will check back in

Been meaning to provide some feedback:

I brewed a batch pretty similar to the original recipe. I modified the hops just a smidge. I also had to toss in some LDME 'cause I had too much water and the OG was pretty low. But with the excess wort, I split off about an extra 1/4 batch and dry-hopped it on .5 ounces of Willamette. Now it's bottled and ready to drink, and WOW - the regular batch is good, the dry-hopped batch is AMAZING... It somehow has all these extra fruit flavors - a little banana, maybe some grapefruit... It tastes SO good, and it SUCKS 'cause we only have about 2 six-packs worth bottled into 22oz bottles. It won't last very long!

I enourage anyone interested to give this a try - it is SOOOO good.

InityBrew said:
I used 5 tsp of ground columbian coffee beans for 25 oz. of water. Cold steeped for 24 hours in fridge. I think one or two more tsp wouldn't have hurt, but I didn't want to over do it.

I then filtered out the grounds with a coffee filter and added at flame out.

Also, I mashed at 152 so that it would get down to. 1.012 -1.014ish range... I think if it ended up in the 1.016 - 1.018 range it would have been to sweet.

Once it is carbed I will check back in

Sounds goood

Did the Extract recipe on Friday the 13th. I'm calling it 13 Dead Guys Ale in honor. Thank you for the recipe!! :mug:

post boil gravity was 1.069. gravity at 14 days in primary is 1.026. steady ferm temp of 64.

this seems high at 1.026.

any ideas?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Talked to Whitelabs today. They said to raise my temp to ~ 67 and that should allow beer to finish out. So, I will see what happens.

At 14 days, the beer is tasting pretty good.

Talked to Whitelabs today. They said to raise my temp to ~ 67 and that should allow beer to finish out. So, I will see what happens.

What yeast are you using? I don't know why I'm asking, in one way, since I've never used White Labs yeast. I couldn't get Pacman when I first started brewing this, so I've alway just used S-05, and it's been so good I've never felt the need to change over. S-05 ferments this beer right down to Yooper's FG, and in my basement that's at 60-61F.

What yeast are you using? I don't know why I'm asking, in one way, since I've never used White Labs yeast. I couldn't get Pacman when I first started brewing this, so I've alway just used S-05, and it's been so good I've never felt the need to change over. S-05 ferments this beer right down to Yooper's FG, and in my basement that's at 60-61F.

wlp041, pacific ale yeast. Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F

So my ferm temp was less than 65, at 64. Whitelabs guy said esters will not be an issue at that stage, so ramp up the temp. He said esters only an issue during the first 48 hours.

Raising the temp may help finish it out, however...you will loose the taste of a Dead Guy. The temp should be at 60*. That is what the recipe calls for, if you stray from target temp the taste will stray as well. I have been brewing for about 2 years now, but this is my first true homebrew. I use to go to a local place to brew but was discouraged and started looking for a better alternative. I will never brew anywhere else besides home from now on. On another note, I have seen quotes from Rouge the brewer themselves stating they ferment all their beer at 60*. Hence I said the taste will vary. It may finish and you will have a good beer, but the taste will be off. Enjoy the beer anyway, good luck!

Raising the temp may help finish it out, however...you will loose the taste of a Dead Guy. The temp should be at 60*. That is what the recipe calls for, if you stray from target temp the taste will stray as well. I have been brewing for about 2 years now, but this is my first true homebrew. I use to go to a local place to brew but was discouraged and started looking for a better alternative. I will never brew anywhere else besides home from now on. On another note, I have seen quotes from Rouge the brewer themselves stating they ferment all their beer at 60*. Hence I said the taste will vary. It may finish and you will have a good beer, but the taste will be off. Enjoy the beer anyway, good luck!

Dont' want to loose that dead guy taste. At my current gravity of 1.026, I am at 5.76% abv - lower than the real McCoy.

What yeast are you using?

I used a White Labs Liquid yeast, it was 1056 American Ale. My OG was 1.062, pretty close to the target of 1.066. I will update the FG when I bottle.

As a side note, I placed my beer filled carboy into a Beer keg bucket, like the one you find in any big department store like #$%mart. Filled till half way up the carboy with water and kept the desired temp at 60* by using alternating bottles of water I froze. When I woke up and in the evening I would switch them out. I found that two one liter plastic bottles were enough to use. I had four frozen and would place two at a time in at those times. I did the recipe by yooper to the T and it worked just fine...I will bottle next Wednesday and update.

Cheers!

IMAG0869.jpg

Dont' want to loose that dead guy taste. At my current gravity of 1.026, I am at 5.76% abv - lower than the real McCoy.

You won't! Fermentation temperature is chosen by the yeast strain, and it's true that when I use pacman yeast I generally ferment it at 60 degrees for a very lager-like flavor/finish. But pacific ale yeast likes warmer temperatures than pacman, so it'll be a bit different than the original. You can definitely try warming it up a bit- can't hurt, might help. But as I said, I never had luck with getting fermentation going again.

By the looks this is your primary!? Mine was in the secondary in the picture. It clears up a lot...Looks like it should at this point. My primary was in plastic and I used a Blow off tube instead of an airlock for the primary fermentation. This was good until it exploded...lol...not that bad but it did. Had a mess to clean up after work but all is well now and I'm on the way to a great beer. This should deliver as I said earlier a 7.2% Dead Guy...Thirsty just thinking about it.

Yooper said:
You won't! Fermentation temperature is chosen by the yeast strain, and it's true that when I use pacman yeast I generally ferment it at 60 degrees for a very lager-like flavor/finish. But pacific ale yeast likes warmer temperatures than pacman, so it'll be a bit different than the original. You can definitely try warming it up a bit- can't hurt, might help. But as I said, I never had luck with getting fermentation going again.

Increased my temp and have air lock activity.

jtaguy said:
By the looks this is your primary!? Mine was in the secondary in the picture. It clears up a lot...Looks like it should at this point. My primary was in plastic and I used a Blow off tube instead of an airlock for the primary fermentation. This was good until it exploded...lol...not that bad but it did. Had a mess to clean up after work but all is well now and I'm on the way to a great beer. This should deliver as I said earlier a 7.2% Dead Guy...Thirsty just thinking about it.

Primary

Follow Yooper's guidance and ferment at (or as close to) 60 degrees. I used a beer tub with water and frozen bottles for two batches until I found a small fridge that fits a single carboy.

I ferment my Pacman beers at 60 degrees for two weeks, let it rise to 70 for a week, then drop it down to 40 to settle, clear, and keg. Total time in the fermenter is four to five weeks (depending on my schedule).

Moving forward, I wil never use that tub again.

I use a chest freezer with external temp controller. So it is easy to change my temp. Never used the water tub set-up.

Kegged since Monday. Could only get to 1024 final gravity from 1069. Taste is OK but still carbing up Definitely not a rogue dead guy.

Might try this one this weekend. Maybe a two brew weekend, given the holiday.

Thanks for the recipe Yoop. Gotta ask... where in da UP are you from?

Might try this one this weekend. Maybe a two brew weekend, given the holiday.

Thanks for the recipe Yoop. Gotta ask... where in da UP are you from?

Right in the central UP, on the Wisconsin border.

I like this beer, but I haven't made it in a while. I added it to my "to brew" list.

This is now a regular with me. I like it better than the commercial beer it's cloned from, whatever it is (definitely not a Maibock, which I've had, and am not especially fond of).

I brewed this last Friday. Currently in the fermentation chamber at 64-65 degrees. The only change I made was using S-05 (2 packets, dry pitch) in place of the Pacman. It's still bubbling away although it has finally slowed down. I usually primary for 3 weeks before even checking it but I think I'll take a gravity reading at 2 weeks this time around. S-05 seems to get right after it in my experience.

Just wanted to update with results. I am very impressed with how this turned out. It is a near dead ringer (pun absolutely intended). Really appreciate this recipe Yooper, thanks for posting it. I am admittedly apprehensive about online recipes but if anyone has any reservations, you can cast them aside. This one is a winner to be sure. Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words so...

deadguy-41752.jpg

Just straight up awesome. I just had a Dead Guy at a local pub last night to get the flavor profile in my brain and when I knocked this one back, I could swear it was pulled from the same tap. :rockin:

Back